BeesWax

100% Beeswax makes great votives, tapers and pillars!! It's not a good container wax unless you mix a little in soy, but alone not so good. You have to use too large a wick and your jars would be way too hot!! Have fun!! :cool2:

100% Beeswax makes great votives, tapers and pillars!! It's not a good container wax unless you mix a little in soy, but alone not so good. You have to use too large a wick and your jars would be way too hot!! Have fun!! :cool2:

What about mixing yellow beeswax with parafin 141 and using it for container wax? I picked up some of both a few months ago and have thought about using it to make rolled votives (not sure if that is the correct term...rolling out in sheets and cutting them into votives) but it might be fun to see if they could work together in a jar...and what kind of wick would you need?

If you're talking about the beeswax sheets you just roll those, you don't melt them down, you just roll the sheets. If you are talking about melting them down with the paraffin 141 and putting them in jars, they more than likely wouldn't do very good, as the melt point would be too high for container candles. The wicks you'd have to use to get a good burning container, would end up making your jars way too hot. You could mix the beeswax with a lower melt point paraffin or soy for containers though. I don't mix beeswax with my container wax, so I can't help you on wicking or how much beeswax to use, sorry!! :cool2:

Solid Beeswax pillars are wonderful, once you get them wicked correctly! LOL. Use square braided wicks and you will have to up the size by at least 2 from any wicking chart (they use paraffin for the guidelines). Give you an example, I tested a size 3, 4, 5 & 6 for a 3" pillar. The size #6 worked the best but the chart I referenced said to use a size #2.

Testing is imperitaive when it comes to solid beeswax. AND you need to test every lot you get, because no 2 hives produce the exact same wax. And to go further, no 1 hive will produce the same exact wax in the same year or even years due to the varieties of food the bees eat.

Faith:

Unless you want to change your wicking, keep the solid beeswax mix less than 30% with container wax. I use J223/beeswax mix with zinc wicks (just up the size of the wick for my containers) at less than 30%. Over 30% and I had massive wicking problems. HTH.