Yes, yet another question re 4630/1945 Harmony Wax

I need some help figuring out what my next step is with this wax. We love the way it adheres to the jars, but we are having a heck of a time wicking it.

We use the 10 oz apothecary jars. We have tried HTP's, Premier's and LX's - none of them have worked thus far.

With the LX's, we started with the LX18, which is recommended for this size jar. We are down the the LX10, which is the lowest you can use (the LX8's are for tealights), and our wax totally liquifies when the jar is about 1/2 burned (at least with some scents -others may take a little longer to totally liquify)- when it gets down to about an inch of wax, the jar is hot to the touch and soot starts forming. These have been our favorite wick so far...nice, steady flames, great hot throw....as long as our customers don't burn them all the way down, all will be fine...:D JUST KIDDING!!!!

Our experience with the HTP's: We started with HTP83's, which is the recommended size....went down to HTP73's - still had soot on the jar. I cannot find the test results for the HTP62's - probably didn't do one because they were recommended for 2.25-2.50" containers, but we may try it.

Premiers: We may have been wicking too high with the Premiers, but I am not sure if we want to continue testing with those because we experienced high flames and soot on some testing we did - the only way we could figure out how to lower the flame was to cut the wick to about 1/8" - then we ran into drowning problems.

We have reduced the FO to 1 oz pp (we like to use 1.5 oz pp, but thought that might have been causing the sooting problem).

Does anyone have any advice as to what our next step should be. We really like this wax and have invested alot of time and money and frustration - but hate to give up on it.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have. As always, I appreciate it!

Jane

This isn't an overly popular wick however, I've had VERY good results this far (although with a completely different wax, and jar style), with the Low Smoke Zinc cored wicks from WSP. They have really proved to be excellent wicks thus far. I highly recommend them, and, they have a good number of sizes. I'm fairly certain you can find one to work in your jar.

I'll second the low smoke wicks from WSP in this wax, but my wax is now a blend of 4630 and soy instead of straight 4630, and it wicks the same for me but no soot or smoke. I found that the LS wicks actually burn a tad bit hotter than the regular zincs.

Hi, I have also had a hard time wicking this wax with htp's and premier's so I tried adding 25% 415 and 50% 415. I still had problems so I sat the whole case in the corner and switched to a couple other waxes. I was so stressed I took 6 weeks off from testing. From all my testing I believe you may have to add something to up the wax melting point.:undecided GOOD LUCK.

By the way, if you don't want to try the Low Smoke Zincs, you might give the Premiers a second chance (or ask them about their 600 series, which is more specifically for paraffin, where the 700 Premiers are more geared towards soy). I say that because, there isn't a wick type out there with THIS many options in terms of sizes. You MUST be able to find something that will work, at least in terms of size.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! I had requested the 600 series samples a few times and have received nothing. I know they were swamped, so I have not given up. We have tried to stay away from the zinc wicks only because we really like the self-trimming wicks and we ourselves don't like the metal core. We may need to rethink that.

I know virtually nothing about additives.....if I added vybar to this wax, would it harden it so that it would not liquify totally during those last few burns? This is a very soft wax.

Thanks again for your input!!

Jane

Hi Jane, I use this wax, 4630, I do use vybar260 ONLY with heavy fragrances that are hard to mix. For example, I use just a few granules when making Sissie's Sugar Cookies and Birthday Cake from Alabaster. I hope this helps :)

Ahhh, maybe I should be thinking of stearic acid to harden the wax so it does not do a full melt (hopefully). I guess it couldn't hurt to try it. For once, I actually HAVE IT and don't have to do an order...LOL

If anyone thinks the stearic acid would help me out with my problems, could you advise me as to how much to use. Peaks says 1 - 3 TBS pp - not sure what I should start with.

Thanks.

Jane