rustic and mottled???

i've been making container candles for almost a year and i want to start doing pillars. i've done all the searches and studied everything online but am alittle confused about the difference in mottled and rustic. is rustic just colder pouring any pillar wax whereas mottled is using specific pillar wax? i've seen all the pictures in the gallery and am amazed and shocked at how great they are but am still alittle confused about it all. all the instructions i've read show how to make pillar candles but i've yet to see how to finish them...do you use a wick tab..i've seen some pillars with and some without....i'm so confused! but excited to get started.

Ok Jen, Im still half asleep but let me try to help you. If you see my post in the gallery, its titled "rustic & mottled" The brown one is a rustic. I used 4045H and poured at 150 into a room temp mold, so yes, pouring cooler will give you the rustic effect but not every wax will do that. I've tried rustics with other waxes and just could not get the effect that i get with 4045H. The mottled candle is pouring hot into a hot mold and adding extra FO to get the mottling effect. It has to be a mottling wax tho!!! I use 1274 and it works great! You really need to use more than 1 oz pp. I did one the other day using only 1 oz pp and I only got mottling in certain places. I remelted and added more FO (i believe it was 7% pp this time) and I got the perfect mottle! As far as wicking, that is what wick pins are for or you can pre-wick your mold. I prefer to use the wick pins. When the candle is finished and hardened completely, you pull out the wick pin and there's the hole that you insert your wick in. I always use wick tabs because the wick will stop burning when it gets down to the crimped part of the tab and wont be a fire hazard. If you have any other questions, post them and Im sure others will chime in and help you out. HTH

Dana

With a rustic you have to use a mold release,right? What is that? Can you do 100% soy wax with a rustic pillar? I posted this question on another forum but can't seem to find it again (haha).

Just from my experience, I dont know if others have the same problem, But using mold release always makes the frost on rustics stick to the mold. I just rely on the FO to help it out and let it cool in the mold for at least a day and it works fine. Sorry, I dont know much aboy soy though.

Yes, rustic finish is from cold pour and mottle from 180 or so and slow cooling (I do not chill or heat my molds or use a release). You won't get a mottling finish with waxes with additives, vybar kills the mottle. Generally, I find 1 oz FO pp of wax to produce a nice mottle.