Ceramic molds

• 1 month later...

I am just now starting to get info on candle making and will purchase some wax this week-end and give it a try. I have been doing ceramics in my garage for several years. Ceramic molds are made from plaster of paris and are very pouris so they can absorb water from the slip. I don't think they would make good candle molds, however I will try on one of my junk molds and let you know. I have many candlestick molds and lots of boxes and other molds that would make good candle containers.

woodyarn@yahoo.com

Nope.. They make terrible molds. Too porous to be used. YOu can try, but I did thinking they might work, and it was a disaster.. Not only did the wax not want to release (hard straight paraffin) but I ruined my ceramic mold, which sucked.. lol

I wouldn't do it unless you don't care about the mold you want to pour in..

This has been my experience with it though.. :(

• 17 years later...

I have a wood taper mold... at least the frame is wood. The tubes (molds) are not metal though,  they are ceramic. The inside is fired; the outside is dull and seems porous. The nails have round heads; so I doubt it is very old. 

Any clues as to its origins?