3 wick-HELP

Hey everyone I have a 6x6 1/2 3 wick round mold. I poured my first pour last night but now I have to do my repour and the colour if off because my pouring pot only holds so much wax and I have had to melt the wax and add colour for the repour. Even though I measured out the colour it is still off. What do you do when you need to melt 5 pounds of wax??????? Or more....????:mad: :rolleyes2

You use melting apparatus that holds more than 5 lbs of wax. A Presto works well for melting up to 8 lbs. You will never be able to match colors in two separate batches.

I have no clue what 3 wicks has to do with it, though.

I think she means what do you use to pour larger quantities of wax so that you don't have to worry about a second pour and the colors not matching.

If I understand you correctly, I would try to improvise with a bigger pouring pot - perhaps a glass pitcher or a stainless steel pitcher like the type used in restaraunts. YOu just need to find somethat that will hold enough melted wax for you to pour whatever you are making.

You use melting apparatus that holds more than 5 lbs of wax. A Presto works well for melting up to 8 lbs. You will never be able to match colors in two separate batches.

I have no clue what 3 wicks has to do with it, though.

She was just telling you what kind of mold it is ;)

If I'm pouring a large batch of the same fragrance and color I add the color and fo right into my presto pot (which will hold up to 8 lbs.of wax.) I have done this many many times and once the presto is empty I wipe it out and it doesn't retain any of the color or fo. If you don't have a presto and are using the double boiler method then go to the dollar store and buy one of the large double boilers to use it whenever you want to make a candle in that mold.

you are all correct. and as I stated, the size of mold/number of wicks *see subject* doesn't seem to address the actual question.

Also, as I stated, use a big enough pot to melt all the wax you will need to finish the candle. Pretty simiple, eh?

Making candles is, indeed, a science.

you are all correct. and as I stated, the size of mold/number of wicks *see subject* doesn't seem to address the actual question.

Also, as I stated, use a big enough pot to melt all the wax you will need to finish the candle. Pretty simiple, eh?

Making candles is, indeed, a science.

LOL, they all said what you originally posted. Why in the world would you not melt enough wax to complete the candle?

Indeed, a science.

If you don't already have a Presto Pot, get one at Wal-Mart. Only $20.00. You can color all your wax in the pot, then ladle it into two pour pots, then pour. Another thing you can do is make a big three-wick candle with wax chunks. A regular size cookie sheet can hold three lbs of wax, and when you fill the mold with wax chunks, then you only need about two lbs of melted wax for the overpour. There are instructions on the board for making wax chunks in a cookie sheet. Lots of fun!

geek

Thank you for some of the comments, I didnt intend to NOT melt enough wax, my pouring pot said it holds 5 pounds of wax but when I started to melt my wax I quickly found out that it didnt. All I was doing about mentioning the mold size was to see if anyone had any ideas or techniques when they are using that same sized mold. Usually when I dont post it I get asked and now that I did, well you can see.

THanks