How do you pick the right show??

lpoitras

My partner and I started our biz (soy candles, containers only so far) in April and have done 5 shows, 3 in the last 6 weeks. I know this isn't a very busy time of year for my shows (New Jersey) but how do you tell the right ones for you? All I keep hearing every year from the other vendors is "It's slow this year,I only made 1/2 of what I made last year, and so on". We were making a little more each show, then had 1 dud 3 weeks ago, then went to our final show until August today which was billed as a Victorian Fair and was given good reviews from my craft fair market guide. We were only 1 of 2 candle makers and the other ones didn't even make their own candles. So we thought we would have it made. Well we made our table and a tiny bit of profit but it was dismal compared to what I think it should have been. Had kettle corn smoke blowing on the candles and our table all day. Crowd was small, new management who were rude and didn't know how to set up or break down properly. And 2 hours away from my house so plenty of $$$ in gas money. I also had an appointment with a gift shop on the grounds who couldn't wait to see my candles, she did stop by after my partner brought her a sample but never ordered. All and all a disappointing day. and yes, plenty of flea market items and buy and sell. How can you tell ahead of time whether a show is worth it or not?? And my online brochure got mailed out to everyone who asked for one who is interested in wholesale orders, 6 in all from all over the US and no answers yet. After contacting retailers how long does it usually take to figure out if they are interested or just ignoring you because they don't want your products? I guess I am frustrated. Thanks for the vent. By the way people loved our stuff but I think this was a Victorian Fair turned glorified flea market at $60 bucks a table.

I've been having the same problem. I think you need to steer clear of fairs with buy/sell flea market type vendors. I've done events in NJ that were abysmal: people there, with the dogs and kids, but just strolling, not buying.

If those shows are anything like they are in Canada, yes things have been slowing down. I also find I sign with shows that have been around for a few years and have a great attendance record. If the coordinators of the shows are promoting them, having signs visible atleast 1-2 weeks in advance, are listing in your local paper, etc., those are the ones you want to get into. Also, don't feel bad to ask them how many other chandlers there are going to be attending that particular show. This will give you an idea as to your competition. Also request that your "NOT" placed right beside or infront of another chandler for the day of that show. Sometimes you just have to try one out to see how well you do. What one vendor states as an increase or decrease in their product line, doesn't necessarily mean that your going to be achieving the same. Their product might be totally different than yours or they've been there before and based on consumers experience, they won't be repeaters with that particular vendor.

I failed to mention that I don't sign up with flea markets for the simple fact that your placed outside in the heat, under a tent and that's just not my cup of tea. :) I think we've all had that (1) terrible show we can live to talk about and it's just one of those things that now that you've done it, you won't do it again.

HTH

I think with flea markets (and I am no expert) but is to be there every week and have your base of regulars. Yes, people are looking for cheap stuff but a couple of years my BF and I did one. He wanted to get rid of some junk and I took some candles there (only sold about $12.00) but across from us was a lady selling homemade cookies. She did not "selling", just sat reading her book but sold out of her cookies. She seemed to have her regular customer base because she was there every week, in the same spot and people came to see her.

Just a thought.....

My advice on any show is to go the year before and check it out or speak with other vendors about shows. Stay away from anything related to a flea market show!

Also you should know that the public, most often, will not buy from the new kid on the block where candles are concerned. Why? Because far too many people just into it with testing their products and selling something that is not tested.

I've been making soy candles for six years now and the first year was very hard BUT I was everywhere and was willing to work my tail off to be noticed. Those who bought my candles returned more than once and with word of mouth, sales grew. If there was a problem, I was very quick to listen and correct it, if indeed the candles had a real problem. More times than not, it was someone looking for free candles and they found out quickly I was no dummy!

Be willing to shell the money out for a good show! Be willing to compete with other candle makers on an unlevel playing field.

It certainly takes a great deal of work and sometimes, free product to prove you are the best or at least a well tested product to win the customer over. My second show, I GAVE away 600 tarts for FREE! But It earned me dozens of customers who melted those tart and were blown away by the scent throw. They wanted more tarts but all I had was candles. So they ended up discovering that the candles were a much better investment and the same superior quality. Was it worth the free product? ABSOLUTELY! 36_1_13.gif

These are just a few things I learned from going it alone against the odds. I live were there are 100's of chandlers I compete against but I can hold my own against them. I even gone up against Golden Canyon and Mia Bella in the same tent as myself at a huge show and walked away the winner. I did something they couldn't our would do and proved that I made a great soy candle for less than either company.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb068&pp=ZNxmk762CJUS

Shows are hard work. You've got to *sell* the public. Even what turns out to be a bum show can be great marketing - where else can you get so many eyeballs looking at your logo for under (usually) $100? Like F&I said, constant exposure of your brand is key.

You can still make great contacts - my show yesterday, 5 hours, I made all of $70 after you take out the booth fee and gas. But, I made a great contact with a jeweler whos going to try to set up a monthly art fair in the valley, a new customer who grows rosemary and wants to give me cutting so I can make some rosemary themed products (something I've always wanted to do), I saw 3 regular customers who came to the fair just to see me, and I spent the whole day outdoors next to the Applegate River. None of that would have happened if I had stayed home.