Something I discovered about palm container wax

One of my biggest pet peeves about the palm container wax ( and one that has prevented me from ever marketing them) has been the dang air CAVERNS. I have tried every variation I could think of which includes pour temps., warming/not warming jars/, mixing with other types of waxes, tapping jars till I was afraid they would break, poking and repoking relief holes and then poking some more, hitting with the heat gun at various times, pouring at different angles, stirring as gently as possible to prevent air bubbles. Anyway I could go on and on with the things I have tried and to no avail but I kept thinking that one day I would in fact figure it out and I was determined to not give up and all because I like the way the wax looks in a clear jar and I get a pretty decent hot throw and really wanted to succeed with this wax. VICTORY!!!!!!!! When I was pouring those pita July 4 red,white,and blue in the hex jar I poured a very thin layer and let it cool, poured another thin layer and let it cool etc.etc. Probably no more than 1/8" thick at a time until I had the height of each color where I wanted it and then I let the finished layer completely cool before I started on the next color. I still poured at 200 but no more than 1/8" at a time ( maybe even less than that where there is a color change.) I did not poke any relief holes because since the layer was so thin I could see that there weren't any air pockets. I am now test burning one and there is not a single solitary air pocket :yay: I am doin the happy dance! I'm going to try some more batches to prove that this is indeed the cure. Sounds like it would be a hassle to do on a large scale but so worth it for me. Oh and it didn't effect the crystallization at all.

Very interesting. I too have had some problems with this type of wax. I found that to get it to crystalize I have to put it in the oven (just warmed a little) and let it cool down very slowly. If I poor it at room temp, it doesn't crystalize for me. I may have to try the layers like you suggest.

I am wondering if you have problems with it discoloring as you burn. That seems to be my biggest problem (I use Astorlite Q). I have tried a couple different wicks with the same results. I have tried different dyes too, same problem.

Other than that, I really love the look of this wax - and bravo on your layers!! They turned out very nice.:yay:

No just on top under the surface so when it burns for a bit you suddenly have a 3 inch flame. I've only used the hex jars a few times so I don't know if that attributes to the lack of caverns or not. I'm going to try it in a larger jar. Off and on I've been playing with this wax for almost 3 yrs.

CathyinME it's been one of those things on the back burner for me. Every once in a while I would pull out the wax to play with. In the beginning I was pouring into large jars and the air pockets would be all the way through the candle and then I got it so that they were closer to the top but not discernible until the flame would hit it and flare up. Kinda the same way that every once in a while I try to wick a 2" dia. palm pillar. I think I tried 30 wick sizes/types and either it broke through or the wick fizzled out about 1/2 down but occasionally I'll make another one with yet a different type/size wick. It isn't something I stress over it's just something that I would like to one day conquer and when I do I'll once again be doing the happy dance.

nantes, yes I have had the wax discolor where the melt pool is. It doesn't happen to all of them but seems to be more prominent in the pastel colors.

The deeper the color is the more apt it is to stay true throughout the burn.