Mushrooming Wicks In Votives

I did a seach on mushrooms and it looks like it's just a part of candle making. I like the one customer that thought it was a "fragrance ball". I guess I will testing or deal with it. I seem to specialize in mushrooms and wet spots somedays. It's nice to know I'm not alone. LOL Ginger

You may not be able to eliminate it, but play with the wick size. Depending on your wax and fragrance sometimes you can hit upon a size that won't mushroom and might even self trim so you can burn the votive indefinitely. It takes some luck and a lot of finagling. Varying the FO can influence the results too.

I like those CDs for votives. I've just never really liked the burn of a votive with a zinc wick in it. Starts off nice but always seems to turn to crap along the way.

I've been testing SNC Rosemary Mint and it was one that CD 5-6 didn't work well in so I went to 44-24-18z. Good burn except for the mushroom. Back 5-8 years ago, I don't remember having the problems with wicks, wax and wet spots. Was I not paying attention or have products changed for the worse? I started making candles when I first got out of high school.(1971) Then I made then for someone else in Texas for about 6 years...container and votives. Now it seems like everytime I turn around, I have a new problem. The supplies were limited back in the 70's but I don't remember the problems. Ginger

Ok Eugenia, you are probably right but the lady that taught be never seem to have all those problems as far as I remember. She made pillars and small mold candles and they were beautiful. Very limited on scents. My favorite was jasmine and still is. Now, as far as the LX wicks...I have 2 sizes, 10 and 12 and I have never used them. Just keep for decoration, I guess.LoL Are those the right size for votives? If they are, I might try them tomorrow. My grandson has two ballgames tonight so candle testing is over for the day. T-ball has top priority today. Thanks to all for your advice. It is amazing how much you can read but you still have questions. I thought I was so smart when I graduated H.S. that I would never have to ask questions again.Ha Thanks, Ginger