Air Bubbles In Candle

Anybody know why I am getting little tiny air bubbles in my candles after it hardens?

But mostly the air bubbles are at the bottom of the mold.

Maybe I am pouring too hot? After I pour the candle I put it in a cold bath with ice cubes in it to cool it off faster. Could this be the problem?

Any advice would be thrilling!

Best,

JMT

It could be pinholes caused by pouring too hot, but I have a different suspicion.

It could be you're pouring too cold or putting it in the water bath too quickly. When you pour the wax some of it congeals right away against the cool mold. All of that has to melt to release bubbles and give the candle a smooth surface. It can take a minute or so, assuming the wax is hot enough, so maybe don't rush it into the water.

One more thing I noticed. I can't say for certain it's doing any harm in your case, but it seems unusual to put ice cubes in the water bath. Room temperature water is very effective at cooling a candle in a metal mold. Have you found any special need for the ice?

I couldn't figure out why you'd use ice either.

Hard to say if you're pouring too hot without you listing your pour temp. However, if you get that congealing look on the side of your mold and the rest of the pour doesn't heat it up enough to release it, hit the area with a heat gun long enough to cause it to melt.

I am pouring at 225.... kinda hot right? lol.

I do heat the mold up so when I pour the wax it's in a wamr mold.

Maybe it's just too dang hot the wax I mean. I should pour at like 185 or wsometing like that.

Hey MurrayHill, you are the first NewYorker candlemaker I have EVER seen besides me. I am in Brooklyn.

NYC/Brooklyn Represent!

I wil pour at a lower temp and see what happenes.

JMT

Right on JMT. There aren't many of us here. We need to bring New York back as candle central.

Nothing wrong with pouring at 225 except the insanity of it. ;) Yeah, bring that down a bit. Don't know what you're pouring but 180 should be an improvement and your water bath should be fine without the ice.

225 degrees seems awfully hot, but do you warm the mold? I've had excellent results pouring at about 175-180 and warming the mold with a heat gun. Then I just let it sit. The only time I've used a water bath is when I poured chunk candles & needed the molds for another pour because of a deadline.

Hey thanks guys,

I will try lower temp. I wonder if also I am spraying the mold with that stuff that makes the candle slip out better. I wonder if I am getting "tiny bubbles" from that as well.

Hey MurrayHill do you sell your candles in fairs and such around the city? I am thinking of doing them. I NEVER see candles being sold. I mean this in NYC, you would think so but no. So I am going to step up and do it!

Brooklyn in the house! ")

JMT