What do I do now??

I am looking for some sound business advice. I know this time of year is slow in our business (candles) but want to be sure I am doing the right things come September. I started my business in March, got a couple of orders from downtown shops on the first try so was encouraged. I marketed like crazy, sent free samples to people I knew, gift baskets to 2 charity events, the music schools where my husband works, freebies to the home students (you get the picture). Out of 10 shops on our "knocking on doors" campaign we got 2 small orders, this was in April, neither have reordered. Then whoppee, a shop with no candles who wanted to expand in another town. We got a reasonable order from them, they LOVED our stuff, even asked us to find tea light containers for them (which they never purchased) and they have not reorderd. This was 2 months ago. I have a specialty item which I did specialized marketing on line and got good response, made a physical trip to 1 store who LOVED it but her partner and her have since decided not to order at this time. Got 2 stores responding from other states, I sent the brochure (email file, 1 page but a good start) and keep hearing see you in September maybe. Now have our 6th craft show (4 pretty good, 1 bomb) this weekend so I did some advance marketing to stores in the area, one is excited and wants us to stop by during the show. What do I do next??? Lots of interest but not enough orders. I am also pushing fundraising with my son's band and they seem receptive so far but have to vote on it and don't expect this to happen until the fall. Am ready to get my fundraising packets in the mail by August to hit all the schools and organizations, also the web site is slated for July. What else can I do to sell?

Well first of all you are trying to start your business in the slowest season of the year. April/May is a proven slow period for retail stores. Stores pickup slightly in June for tourist seasons and then again in September getting ready for fall and Christmas. Then again in January filling up their store after the holidays. That was amazing that you got that many so far! Each business has their own reordering method, whether it be at trade shows, only holiday season, as needed, or when they have money. I have had several businesses see us then say, ohh I've been out of your product for months, but just didn't get time to reorder, but I'm ready to order now! Then I also have stores that only order twice a year, no exceptions. Then some that order every 6-8 weeks like clockwork.

If you are looking for fundraisers besides school, how about red cross, relay for life, churches.

Yup barncart is right. I do trade shows and i have accounts that only reorder at the show. Also I may write up 20 orders at the show with maybe only 4 consistently reordering. Some go out of business while others go on and try something new. Thats the tricky thing about wholesale, it seems only a handful reorder. Some only reorder every 3-4 months while others order more often. It really depends on how large a store they are and how much they are selling. I have one account in Colorado that will order at a March show that I do for the whole year. She likes her order shipped out in installments. If i don't hear from them in about 3 months I will give them a call and see if they need anything. One thing I have noticed is it sometimes takes awile for them to get a following for your candles, before they reorder they want to make sure there are customers out there that buy them. Anywhoo i hope this makes sense. Ya just gotta keep pluggin' away and finding new ways to market your product. Good luck..

just to address the shops who have your product, have you been back in to see what else you can get them, go get their order from them, tell them about all your new fragrances, look at their shelves where your product is, tell them you came in to help them restock their shelves, explain to them that bare shelves do not encourage people to buy, full shelves do. You get the idea, GO AFTER THE REORDER JUST LIKE A SALES REP WOULD

Good Luck!

about two years. I started off slow, word of mouth, selling to people

here and there. I finally made the decision to do wholesale

and I started doing the research for moving in that direction.

Getting a booth plan (display wise). Yup it can be expensive but

its marketing and you gotta get out there and theres that old adage

it takes money to make money. I have only just began to advertise

in a few magazines that are my target market, and thats another

thing, know your market...who you are marketing to. Not everyone

will want your line of candles. Initially i did trade shows that were

regional, ie Dallas and KC but i am venturing out to the Denver show

in Jan. It all takes time and everything i do is in steps. When

you leap to fast you might not be ready and thats when failure

ensures. The last market i did was by far my best and my orders

and reorders have been huge but i've been able to make the adjustments

and growth at a pace that has not sunk me. I do know the time

for a new workshop and part time employee is not far off but...

until then i'm content growing at this pace.. One case in point, one order

i received was so large that it needed to be shipped by truck. I don't have

a dock so i had to research and set up an account with a local truck lines

on how to get my stuff to them and palletize it at their dock, because if they do it your gonna get charged. Those are the steps i'm talking about, things

we don't think about when we are shipping 4 and 5 cases at a time.