How bout 25# SOFT block?

Okay, the majority has ruled the hammer is the best way to break up a paraffin slab of wax, so give me some suggestions on the least time consuming and messy way of handling a very soft wax, like 4627, that comes in a 25# block. I've tried a big spoon, but that took forever. I've tried a big spatula, that was a little better, but not much. What is the best way to handle this wax if your melter won't hold the entire 25# block? I really like the results of this wax, but gosh, it's a big mess to get into the presto pot. I end up with wax all over me! :rolleyes2 At least my hands & arms are soft and waterproof until the wax wears off. :grin2:

Someone gave me a tip on the 4627. Go to the paint section of your favorite store and buy a putty type knife that is 8-12 inches wide. Take the bag out of the box and slit the corners. Peel the plastic back and with the putty knife cut blocks off of it. When you're done, fold the plastic back over the wax and put it back in the box. I also use a pie plate for weighing it before it goes into my presto. The pie plate and the putty knife go into a gallon ziploc and fit right down on top of the wax in the box.

HTH

That helps a lot, Carrie, and thanks for adding the tip about where to buy the scraper and about putting it & the pie plate in a baggie in the wax box. That is the kind of details that are so helpful to those of us that are not so organized.

The bench scraper is also a good idea, Wick'd, but I think the longer handle on the putty/paint scraper and the wider blade would work better when trying to cut the big block of wax. The bench scraper looks like a soap cutting blade. Could it be used for that? It would probably be less expensive than buying something that says 'soap cutter' on it. Where do you get a bench scraper - hardware? tools?

The handle does get a little sticky with a softer wax but I've found that I can get a good-sized chunk cut with it - a standard blade is six inches across and three inches deep. A bench scraper would be found in the cooking section or at a restaurant supply store - they're used for cutting doughs. It could definitely be used for cutting soap.