container candle redo?

i had a request from a customer for a certain color candle (black!--hope she's not doing any voodoo!) and i don't like the way it turned out. is it possible to melt it and do a repour? would i need to add more fo? the color wasn't as black as i wanted it so i need to add more color. never had to do this before because i've always been pleased with my container candles. i don't see why it would be a problem but thought ya'll could help.

I don't think adding more FO would change the color. What were you using to color your wax? Liquid dye, chips...? Were you using black or a combination of colors to make it black? I always use grey/black liquid color from Peaks and have never had a problem...

I can't help you with that one...I never melted mine down that way. If something didn't come out right, I would put it in my "incase the electricity goes out" stash and start over. Maybe I'm anal, but I just wanted as accurate a candle I could get when I was testing....if that makes sense. If I'm not going to melt down and recolor all of my candles, then I don't want to do that when I'm testing. To save yourself some time (and money) when you add your color and stir it in for 2 mins, drop a couple of drops onto a white plate - when it cools, that will tell you what color the wax will be. It only takes a few seconds and will save you a lot of time and money just to get the color right. Another thing I do is take a spoon and kinda tilt it towards me until just a little (melted) wax is left and that gives me a pretty accurate color too. HTH.

when i am not sure if a color is just right or not I pour a bit of it in a votive cup and let it set and check it out that way, so if i hav to add I dont have to worry about remelting a whole candle...

I do that a lot with Black candles, they are tough to get a true color...sometimes they turn out a really deep green, blue or purple...

I agree with Candlebean about the "I'll take this one home" stash. I use a white ceramic tile to do my color testing & it makes a great place to stash hot pots and heat guns. If you can smell the scent while you're remelting it...you're losing some scent that the customer won't get & you may wind up adding enough dye to clog your wick.

Personally, living in New Orleans, I get a ton of requests for black candles (mostly from movie companies in town) and since I had a very very very bad experience from a black candle in my teenage hippie-dippie days I don't make them. Obviously I'm not alone in town about this cause the last movie company asked why and when I explained why he said "Well now I understand why I can't get anyone to do it." I told him I'd make it dark dark purple but not entirely black. He said it would show up with the lights.