My new logo

I know that Amenda Candle Company used to be Aromalite, but I thought when I registered my business in Connecticut and I got the paperwork back saying that the business name was available I was OK....

I'm not sure of the availability of the name or not, they may sill have time left on it. I know in my state, when you start a business, they only check my state, not the TM office.

Biz name registrations are only checked within each state. There is no problem with Arkansas having a biz called Aromalite and Connecticut having one too. Assuming, that is, that neither has filed for federal TM protection.

I checked the USPTO and there are only two listings for "Aromalite" and both are dead, so it appears that the name is not TM'd. However, my bigger concern would be the fact that the web domain is already taken and a fully functional candle site.

You can be guaranteed that if you go by Aromalite, people will go to this other site when trying to find you, and you could lose sales. JMO.

As a side note, the logo looks great :)

Thanks Beth,

I thought long and hard about what I wanted my URL to be, I was going to add an "s" to the end of aromalite, but that was still too close to the other one that takes you to amenda. I finally decided on "ilovearomalite.com" hopefully the "I Love" will stay in people's minds....

Thanks! I just saw for myself...at least I made it through the first step. I thought my mom's office would be able to do this for me, but they don't do patents or trademarks :cry2: Hopefully one of the partners in her office will be able to recommend someone to me though. Thanks for your help - it took away the knot in my stomach that I've had since last night!

Thanks Beth,

I thought long and hard about what I wanted my URL to be, I was going to add an "s" to the end of aromalite, but that was still too close to the other one that takes you to amenda. I finally decided on "ilovearomalite.com" hopefully the "I Love" will stay in people's minds....

If you are still going to use the name Aromalite on the label, my first inclination would be to punch in aromalite on the internet. IF I couldn't pull it up that way, THEN I would look at the label for another name. But that is just me.