Newbies trying to start up...

AZ_Ron

Hi All... My wife and I are wanting to start up a candle business as something we can do together (we hate being apart, even for a little bit!!!)

We've played around with parafin, and want to start

relatively small. It seems like I've looked all over this site, and see to be having a hard time coming up with info comparing Soy to Parafin... What are the pro's and cons??

I know Soy is 'eco' friendly, but it seems I've been reading about problems with scent throw, rough surface and wet spots...

We're not sure which way to go, but are otherwise putting a game plan together...We're looking to do containers, Apoth, and hex jars, and pillars, along with a few larger 3-wick candles.

We're looking at somewhere between 10 and 20 scents initially.

Thanks All!!!

Ron and Em

Tempe, AZ

Welcome to the board! When I started, I tested alot of different waxes, wicks, jars etc. until I found the perfect combo for me. I currently use soy and yes the tops of soy candles are not smooth but, this can be corrected with a heat gun. Personally, I prefer soy because there are no wet spots but, you may have some rough tops and maybe some white spots. It's just the nature of soy. I have found that it sometimes depends on the scent you are using also. I did have problems with scent throw at first but, through testing I now have a great hot and cold scent throw. Everyone on this board is very helpful and I have learned SOOOOOOOO much in the year that I have been a member.

Good luck with your new business, keep us posted.:smiley2:

If I may suggest, start with 1 thing. One size jar, or pillar, or votives. Pick one and perfect it. You will have to test each fragrance in each application and that can be quite time consuming and expensive! LOL

Good luck and have fun!

I agree with what Trish said. As far as the type of candle you choose to make, that really is a matter of preference and opinion. You will need to test for yourself to see what you want to make, the wax and wicks you will use and where you get your supplies. Starter kits are a great way to go.

This isn't a get rich quick thing. Most people spend several years before they start to make a profit. You need to be ready to spend lots of money and time working on your product and perfecting it. Testing is so important and should never be overlooked. It's also important to do lots of reading and research.

Making a candle is more than just melting wax and pouring it into a container with a wick. It takes lots of testing and patience if you want to make a quality safe burning candle. You don't want to be just making little fire starters that will burn someone's house down and open you up to a lawsuit. Those of us that are serious about this have spent great amounts of money and time to ensure we are putting out the best/safest product that we can.

Now on the upside, you will find that this is soooo much fun and is very addicting. Welcome and Good luck. :)

Thanks for the replies...

We're very excited about getting into the 'playing/testing' phase, and may have dreams of grandeur at some point, but also know it will take a lot of work and dedication to get there. Ember has been a waitress for over 10 years now, and her body has about had enough of that, so we're looking to do this as a replacement for her income. Trust me, that won't be THAT difficult. We'd like to grow it as we can, and are willing to invest whatever time and money it takes. We love candles and are VERY pumped up about this...

Question: What is the consensus of Parafin Vs. Soy??

It seems a lot of people are going to soy, but I've been unable to find any really concrete reasons for the change... we realize it's more ecologically sound, cleans up with soap and water, but it seems that Para makes for a smoother finish, and seems to have much fewer problems with hot throw... I've been reading a LOT!

Is there something I'm missing?? What do you all prefer and why??

Thanks everyone!!!

Ron & Em

Tempe, AZ

The soy v. paraffin debate will go on for ages. It truly is a personal preference. I do a paraffin/soy blend and love it, but each one separately has issues, wet spots, rough tops, etc. If you read this board frequently you will see tons of information (some repetitive, but to a new person, brand new information), but it still comes down to personal choice.

You mention you are interested in using this as income in the future. As with ANY new business, you will not see profit for 3 - 5 years, and candle making is not the exception to the rule. I would suggest perfecting one form of candles before you stretch yourself too thin. Containers are the easiest in my opinion. Once you create candles that you are 100% pleased with, then think about selling them, and there is alot of research to be done on that too...where you are located and how saturated the candle market in your area is something to consider also. I do not want to "squash your dream" as I think goals are very important, but the reality of candle making is..."love what you are doing."

Good luck and most importantly--welcome to the board.

Welcome to the board and addiction! I have to agree... pick one thing and perfect it. It's very hard to do because temptation to keep trying new things is irresistable ;)

As for Soy vs. Paraffin... as they said, there is no "better", only "I prefer". You will hear good and not good points about each. However, the only way you'll know which you want to use is by trying each. There are so many different waxes in each catergory, it'll boggle the mind. Your best bet is to buy a slab of each to try and see which you like.

Just a little fore-warning.... buy quality supplies. It'll make all the difference in the world and save you money and frustration in the long run. :)

And check out your area to see what kind of candles are already available. As a hobby you can pick your wax based on lots of different things, but it you have your eye toward business, check out the current competition. If you don't see soy out there alot, it might be something unique for you. If all you see out there are soy jars, maybe paraffin pillars are the way to go.

I do pillars votives jars, and I use a paraffin/soy blend.

Another idea, pick the wax that's closest to you and figure out how to make it work. You'll save a ton on shipping over the years.