containers vs profit

chris77

I'm starting container candles and have a question about your pricing structure vs profit. When doing the formula of 4 x cost to get your selling price, are you making a profit on the container itself, or multiplying the cost of the candle itself, using the container as a means to sell the product? so if it costs 2.00 to make the candle x 4 = 8 dollars plus the cost of the container? or do you try to factor in a little more cushion to make money off of the container as well?

I hope that didn't confuse you all.....thank you to all who respond!

Chris

What I do is total all my supplies used to make the candle (including the container) then multiply that by 4. If I think those in my market will not pay that amount I will go down to x 3.5 or have even gone down to x3. If I have to go lower than that for it to be sellable, I dont sell it.

HTH ~ Pam

I have gone round and round with this. If I include the container into the cost when I multiply by 4, the result seems on the high side. This is especially true if the jar price goes up by a bit - when you multiply the little by 4 it changes your final amount by quite a bit. In the end I ended up multiplying the candle cost by 4 but the jar cost by a number less than 4.

I just figure out how much to charge for the ingredients and then add the cost of the jar to that. My customers understand that the jar costs a fair amount of money. They don't mind paying my price for a good quality candle.

I'm starting container candles and have a question about your pricing structure vs profit. When doing the formula of 4 x cost to get your selling price, are you making a profit on the container itself, or multiplying the cost of the candle itself, using the container as a means to sell the product? so if it costs 2.00 to make the candle x 4 = 8 dollars plus the cost of the container? or do you try to factor in a little more cushion to make money off of the container as well?

I hope that didn't confuse you all.....thank you to all who respond!

Chris

I add up all my costs (excluding the container) and multiply by 4. Then I add in 2x the jar cost on top of that, so that I still make a profit on the container. I also am not afraid to round the total price up a bit if that figure seems low. My cost to make a square mason container candle is rather low and I get about 5x my cost out of them. They sell well for me too, so I know I'm not overcharging. Votives and tarts are hard to get 5x the cost from. But, my area can handle higher prices and so I charge accordingly. I like to make a profit, not barely recoup my costs, lol.