messed up need help fast....

latch

I am not an expert on this by any means. But I would think it would change the amount of lye that you need for the batch by a little. Since I don't know your recipe, I don't know by how much.

heres my recipe

30%palm

5%pko

10% castor

25% olive

5% cocoa butter

15% macad.nut

10% sao

I was about to put the lye water in it.... the original with the palm and pko switched around called for 6.56 lye...

I ran your switched recipe through MMS' lye calc & it looks like your fine w/the 6.5 - at 6.37 you're almost at the 10% superfat range... with 6.5 your at 5-6% superfat range which is kinda standard. Looks like you'll have a bit more bubbles and less conditioning that you may have been going for, but it'll still likely be a good bar. Let us know how it turns out!

I wouldn't chance it with that much lye.

Your numbers for hardness (28), cleansing (3), and INS (125) seem too low when I punch them into the soap calc. I don't know a lot about soap values, but if it were me, I'd stop and add some oils that can bump up those values. And I'd do the math to recalculate the percentages of the oil mixture again.

I hope an expert can jump in here to help! I'm still new to soapmaking.

I ran your switched recipe through MMS' lye calc & it looks like your fine w/the 6.5 - at 6.37 you're almost at the 10% superfat range... with 6.5 your at 5-6% superfat range which is kinda standard.

Strange, at Soapcalc when I ran these numbers as a 3 lb. batch it showed 6.37oz as the correct lye amount with only a 5% superfat. If I drop the superfat to 3%, the lye amount required is then 6.51 oz.

Guess it would help to know the total lbs. of oils this recipe is for? I deduced it to be a 3lb. batch...was I wrong?

I ran your switched recipe through MMS' lye calc & it looks like your fine w/the 6.5 - at 6.37 you're almost at the 10% superfat range... with 6.5 your at 5-6% superfat range which is kinda standard. Looks like you'll have a bit more bubbles and less conditioning that you may have been going for, but it'll still likely be a good bar. Let us know how it turns out!

oops - my bad - I thought your original recipe called for 30% Palm & 5% PKO and your messed up version was 30% PKO & 5%Palm...

Still rerun your #s through MMS and see where 6.5 puts you in the excess fat range then adjust accordingly. You may be fine if you can throw some extra oils in there. If I weren't in the middle of soaping right now I'd figure it out for ya!

well i had to make a dec. so i just did it. i will let ya know how it turned out.

the recipe was called shannons super lathery soap, i wanted lather, after looking at the oils it pko that produces the lathers. i still dont understand this superfat stuff...

ok so by the recipe i did with 6.5 lye did i use too much?

Looks like that put you in the 2% excess fat range instead of 5%... you may be ok. Give it a few days and do a zap test. You can always try your hand at rebatching and add some extra oils. You're not going to get the super bubbles that you wanted outta this, but you may have stumbled onto something you like or want to play with.