How to whip cocoa butter

CareBear

I want to make whipped cocoa butter (unrefined) for a pregnant friend who a) is fearful of chemicals and B) CRAVES chocolate but is diabetic and cannot have it - but have a few questions.

Can I whip just plain cocoa butter? Or should I blend it with another oil?

Do I need to melt it before whipping? I mean melt it all the way? Not sure the technique.

Soooooo confused :shocked2:

You will need to melt the cocoa butter as it is a hard butter. You will also need to add some soft oils and/or butters to make it into a butter consistencey. I have tried numerous times to make a whipped cocoa butter, but it always ends up very hard within a few weeks time. I have made one with cocoa butter, mango butter and FCO. It was not a 1/3 split. I had to use lots of FCO to get it to stay soft. If you don't mind it being hard and are just after the scent of cocoa butter and the healing benefits of cocoa butter, you could try 1/3 mango butter, 1/3 cocoa butter and 1/3 FCO. Do not scent it if you want just the natural cocoa butter scent. You may find you will need more FCO. You also could substitute shea butter for mango, but be careful of it going grainy.

Ann

Thanks thanks! Yea, I've discovered shea may be more trouble than it's worth! I am after a creamy texture, not just the scent (though that's a though for some of my "customers"). If I want softer I assume I have to up the oils? Besides FCO, is there another oil you think will hold up and absorb quickly? Something with more "cache"?

Carol

Well, we got a nut allergy thing going on here, so no macadamia, but i'll give the others a try. Do you think sunflower would be nice? I have some of that.

And thank you for taking the time to help me on this. Seems making up batches of this stuff, even to try, uses up the ingredients fast so I'm loathe to try again till I have some concrete ideas.

the recipe you mentioned is more complex than I had in mind, but is great for a guideline.

Sunflower would be nice too. It will take a while to set up and get fluffy. That is why in the recipe I mentioned you need to whip and wait. When you melt the cocoa butter, it takes awhile for it to begin to solidify again. When I have made whipped butter with cocoa in it, it has taken well over an hour to come together and get nice and fluffy. I was always able to achieve a nice fluffy texture, but then as the cocoa continued to solidify, it became harder than I would have liked. I have also made a batch and then covered it over night to see how hard it became. I then would add more oil and whip again. This seemed to help.

Ann