First Soy Layer

Howdy. After a bit of a Hiatus from candles, here is my most recent candle...from last night!

Cucumber Canteloupe

Candlewic Soy 125

1% Frostop

2% Beeswax

5% FO

First layer poured at 150

Second layer poured at 155

I really like the adhesion to the glass. The cold throw is nice. My blend was okay, however I noticed the green layer was starting to crack slightly on top before I poured the orange layer. The orange layer cooled and looked like it had a growth on top, similar to what people describe as cauliflower. I heat gunned it twice and still did not have a smooth top. I'm wondering if I should up the percentage of beeswax?

Thanks for looking.

post-1605-139458401477_thumb.jpg

post-1605-139458401481_thumb.jpg

So my new question is this, unlike a pillar where you have to pour hotter on the second layer to get it to adhere, in a soy container would I pour the second layer cooler?

Thanks

Sometimes my wax will set up like that if I pour too hot or in the summer months when my house is too hot. I too have to adjust my BW amounts with the season or I get some pretty funky looking tops.

No you will still need to pour hotter so that the layers will melt together. I don't use the same wax as you, but do use a 100% soy. I always pour at the slushy stage which is around 100 degrees. Try pouring the first layer at around 90-95 and then the top layer at 100 and see if that helps you. I've only done layers once a few years ago. You can also try upping the BW to 3% but if you go over 5%, you might need to wick up and could get cracks.

Thank you, I made another one before I got your response....upped BW to 3% and got better results...better top. I poured 2nd layer cooler and you were right, there is a line between my layers. It also frosted a bit this time. Going to up the Frostop a slight bit and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

No you will still need to pour hotter so that the layers will melt together. I don't use the same wax as you, but do use a 100% soy. I always pour at the slushy stage which is around 100 degrees. Try pouring the first layer at around 90-95 and then the top layer at 100 and see if that helps you. I've only done layers once a few years ago. You can also try upping the BW to 3% but if you go over 5%, you might need to wick up and could get cracks.

Check out the clearance section of bed bath and beyond. They put out displays and cases that are missing a glass. I got several for like 48 cents.

Love the tumbler! Mind if I ask where you get that?

Gretchen