h/oz & g/h...

I've been reading about a comparative test involving candles made from a soy wax, a paraffin wax, and a beeswax. IMO, it seems heavily slanted toward the soy. Essentially, I'd like to see some h/oz or g/hr figures from fellow chandlers. I have a suspicion that the figs. are going to be within the same ballpark. But will greatly depend on the candle itself, and skill of the maker.

BTW, I'm not posting this so that is can be used as a 'my candle wax is better than your wax' or 'my candle can beat up your candle' thread.

Eventually I will buy some paraffins to test, but for now posting seems a more reasonable way to get some answers from people who have a great deal more experience with various paraffin waxes. Any input from beeswax chandlers (or other waxes) would be appreciated as well.

To start with, I currently have a 100% soy votive burning (that I made). The following are approximations for simplicity. It has a good hot throw, MP 1/4" deep, flame 5/8". So far, it has a 10 h/oz or 2.8 g/h. Comparing with the A&P wick guidelines for the votive, it seems to be doing alright, I suppose. Without pulling out the experiment folder, this seems to be close to what I've been attaining before.

I realize that this is only one spec. in any particular candle's profile. And, there are advantages/disadvantages to any wax or candle. I'm just curious to see this particular spec. expanded upon here.

What are some comparative same or other wax figs. for a votive (or other candle)?

TIA for any help & info.

Top, thanks for responding... that's pretty much what I figured. I saw the same type & size of wick being used for each. There just seems to be so much misinformation concerning the properties of soy wax(es). At best it's amusing, at worst... well, it's just wrong.

The manufacturing of mainstream soy wax is very interesting, but not natural by any stretch of the imagination. The more I read about it, I almost feel sorry for the soybeans! (I'm a vegetarian too.) Of course I do have much more reading to do on it and other waxes & additives. I am trying to go about this candlemaking thing more methodically/scientifically than one would probably think candles should endure.

I'm not Top,... but it (the test) does look like at best, just some propaganda. Using the guise of a 'scientific' burn test, besides using the same wicks, I found the use of German wicks interesting (if it is the same test). I don't believe Germany grows any cotton for commercial or industrial use. According to Cotton, Inc., the top four world cotton producers (05/06) were China, US, India, and Pakistan. The German wick co. may use US cotton, but when looking at the other three countries, I have doubts.

I only bring the wick up b/c the material I'm reading bashes paraffin. And seems to look down on the importation of petroleum waxes. Whether or not they use US cotton, those wicks are still an import. Most likely not something from an American farmer. If this is true, it really does seem more than propaganda. US has wick manufacturers, and I'm not trying to bash German wicks.

This is all just at first glance, I reserve the right to be incorrect! :wink2:

BTW, found thread discussing this more & will read later tonight.

Things will happen when people expect to make a lot of money and are preparing to file a patent. Plus the study was funded by Cargill.

The interesting thing to realize is that when people say soy wax burns without soot and lasts longer, that all comes from this rigged study. It hasn't otherwise been demonstrated.

IGI did a very interesting study in which they compared appearance, scent throw, burn rate and sooting for several container wax types including a straight paraffin mottling blend, regular paraffin container blends, paraveggie blends, and an all-vegetable container blend.

The the burn rate and sooting tests didn't show anything special. A candle is a candle. It mostly depends on how you wick it and what fragrance oil you're using. The wick matching for the tests was done by Wicks Unlimited.

http://www.igiwax.com/downloads/Spring2004%20White%20Paper%20030404.pdf

Interesting, indeed. Top, thanks for taking the time, and the link.... much appreciated. :cheesy2: Candles, those little monsters, appear so deceptively simple! BTW, the jars look like baby bottles.