Question re:Kelsei molds

TexasBrat

kjstrmuskcut.jpg

Here is a pic of some soaps right out of the kelsei. I forgot to put the SL in that batch and tried to remove them too soon so some of them are kinda messed up. See that soap front and center. Look at the back edge. All but the very middle soap in the batch have to be cleaned up. All of the soaps that are around the edge have a "lip" of soap on that side.

Oh I need to get one of those molds. The problem for me is that I only make 2 or 3 lb batches so the 9 cavity one is perfect but it only makes 9 bars. If I expand then I guess I'll need to buy the larger mold. I am having a garage sale this week so I hope to make enough money. lol

I have the 9 bar Kelsie mold and it can hold up to 3lbs of soap. With 3lbs, I get bars that weigh around 6.0 oz and some even up to almost 7 oz. I think 3lbs makes a larger, chunkier bar than I like and is too hard for smaller hands to hold. I think a 2/12 pound recipe is perfect and gives you bars around 5 oz that aren't quite as thick and chunky so they are easier to hold. I love my Kelsie mold and can't wait to be able to buy the 18 bar size.

Today I used 42oz of oils and 16oz of water and it filled the little 9 bar kelsei to the very top. It also riced and then traced super fast. :lipsrseal

Sorry to hear that Carrie. :sad2: First time I used mine, I used 4 lbs and the soaps were so tall I had to cut them in half length wise. I think 2 or 2.5 lbs. is perfect for the 9 bar.

The bars made in the kelsei rattle around in the boxes. On the Kelsei site it says that the bars are "2 1/8 X 3 1/8". The soap boxes are 2 3/4 X 3 3/4. IMO the kelsei bars are just a little too small.

If I do a 3lb recipe in my Kelsie mold, my bars are too big for the Dan's Big Bands from MMS. But if I do a 2lb or 2 1/2 lb recipe, I can use those shrik bands. I've never used boxes but have considered it. Carrie are you referring to a size bar with a 3 lb recipe that would still be too small for these boxes?

If I do a 3lb recipe in my Kelsie mold, my bars are too big for the Dan's Big Bands from MMS. But if I do a 2lb or 2 1/2 lb recipe, I can use those shrik bands. I've never used boxes but have considered it. Carrie are you referring to a size bar with a 3 lb recipe that would still be too small for these boxes?

The boxes are 2 3/4 X 3 3/4 x 1. Only one inch thick. A three pound batch will be at least 1.5 inches thick, don't you think?

Well that is what I was thinking but you had mentioned that you put in 42 oz of oils in your mold. I wasn't sure if you did that amount each time and I was trying to figure out how they would fit in these boxes based on if you were referring to a 3lb recipe or the 2lb recipe. And I've never actually measured the height or size of my bars - I just know they won't fit the Dan's bands and I know what my oz are. I was just trying to get a perspective on this size thing. You kind of confused me there. LOL

My bars just seem like they are thicker than 1.5 inches when I do a 3lb recipe. I hope that made sense.