One of my customer's candles is "brainy"

Back just before Christmas last year, one of mrs geek's coworkers ordered two Dreamsicle scented 11 oz tureens. I had them tested and burning great, poured two for her and she was tickled to death! It was Millcreek's Dreamsicle in 415 with BW and UV.

Now, five months later, I am at her house doing some handyman work for her and I see one of the candles I made. Being the curious sort, I opened it up to see how it was doing. Well, to my surprise it had not yet been lit, and it was all brainy looking on top, and the brainy looking residue on the top was very powdery! :sad2: It still smelled great though.

I've been playing around with soy for about a year, but I realize I'm no expert. Maybe it's the FO or the fact that she keeps her house so warm inside, but I can't figure out what causes that brainy cauliflowery powdery stuff to happen. I've had other candles sit without burning and not do that. Anyone else have experience with Dreamsicle or long term storage in high heat?

TIA! geek

Some of mine get bubbles in the heat, they get a white powder ring, or just a powdery top.

(Must get dried out)

All kinds of wierd things happen to soy when it sits..:shocked2:

I have not found it to effect the scent throw.

Once in a while, some of my heavy FO's seem to have a harder time reaching a FMP when they sit for a long period time or its really cold. (Guess the soy gets harder and does not burn as easily.. )

That is why I always wick up a bit, just to play it safe.

I have had one of mine bubble like Pizza.. I just hit it with a heat gun and it burned wonderful... (This was orange clove) ...(If I remeber correctly)

post-630-139458401353_thumb.jpg

My unburned 100% soy candles get powdery tops sometimes after sitting for periods of time. I also sometimes get the brainy look after a first burn, but after subsequent burns, they get a smoother look. Soy is so weird (but so am I ... I guess that's why I like it so much. :P) I let my customers know not to be alarmed if things like this happen, that it's a natural characteristic of soy wax but does not affect the quality of the product. So far I haven't had any complaints.

Found a box of six 10 oz. frosted apothecary jars in a box in my garage about 2 weeks ago. Haven't used this style jar in 3 years. The 3 eucalyptus still looked like new but the two sandalwood had a powdery thing going on and the yuletide was discolored a bit. All smelled good though. All were soy. Do blends or paraffin react differently over time?

Ron

HI Geek,

I put a candle on the window sill a couple of weeks ago. It looked as though it was starting to frost, and I thought that the warmth of the sun would rectify that. My kitchen faces south, and it gets hot, even in winter. Well, HA! BRAINS! It looked awful! I couldn't believe what happened to it. Now, keep in mind, I live in Mass. and the sun, when we actually have sun, is very warm even for this time of year. So I can absolutely understand what happened to your candle, and why. Mine didn't even have the lid on.

However, I didn't learn my lesson, and did it again with tea lights...thinking that I would just put them there for a few minutes....yeah, right.

That resulted in the oh so pleasant 'brain fart'....probably like what Marilyn experienced.

Now, I have learned my lesson. :rolleyes2

I am sure that you make quality candles and have nothing to worry about.

Fern-Marie

Dear Customer,

Please do not be concerned if your candle exhibits a blotchy or mildewed appearance, resembles a jar of snot after burning, bulges like an impending Alien birth, or sprouts a brain. These natural characteristics should assure you that you're the owner of a genuine 100% soy wax candle!

Dear Customer,

Please do not be concerned if your candle exhibits a blotchy or mildewed appearance, resembles a jar of snot after burning, bulges like an impending Alien birth, or sprouts a brain. These natural characteristics should assure you that you're the owner of a genuine 100% soy wax candle!

:laugh2:

Hi Geek! I'm not so sure it is the room heat causing this. I have a bright pink one with fresh rose FO, looked fine before burn, then burned it once and put it away in my darker, cool (60 degree or less) basement about 4 months ago. Just noticed the white brainy area raised about 3/4" around the wick. This was with CB 127. Looks ugly, but still smells good. I thought it was the color/FO mix. Were yours colored or natural? What's interesting is there is no frosting on the sides/bottom of this candle. Now I'll have to burn it again to see if the brain goes away. So you think it is just a soy thing and not color/FO/wick/additives? Beth

Hi Geek! I'm not so sure it is the room heat causing this. I have a bright pink one with fresh rose FO, looked fine before burn, then burned it once and put it away in my darker, cool (60 degree or less) basement about 4 months ago. Just noticed the white brainy area raised about 3/4" around the wick. This was with CB 127. Looks ugly, but still smells good. I thought it was the color/FO mix. Were yours colored or natural? What's interesting is there is no frosting on the sides/bottom of this candle. Now I'll have to burn it again to see if the brain goes away. So you think it is just a soy thing and not color/FO/wick/additives? Beth

This was a no-color candle. I'm guessing that it was the FO. No matter though, I have switched wax formulas and have one that seems to behave.

Top you are too funny! Anyone who knows your opinions on soy will understand your post. :P

geek

Dear Customer,

Well, there ya go; another label warning! I like it! :thumbsup:

Can we quote you?

Dear Customer,

Hi, I am new to this forum, but not to making soy candles. I have had the same experience, I even had a lady buying a sage & citrus candle, when she opened the top, she said ohhhhhh, is that the sage sticking out, how clever. LOL ummmmmmm.

Personally, I think this bubbling up, or brain is caused by excess air in the candle, when put in a warm place it softens the wax causing the air bubbles to rise, hence itcky weird looking candle, IMHO.

I do poke, stir and bang the bottom of the candle (gently of course).

I dunno, but it is frustrating. Soy can be a real PIA.

Geek was that a straight 415 you used. I had the same thing happen with that particular scent. I did use orange coloring but the wax just changed. I summed it up to poor storage. My basement is sometimes too cold. At least I know of the outcomes. So for problems scents and colors I have been using the 464.

Geek was that a straight 415 you used. I had the same thing happen with that particular scent. I did use orange coloring but the wax just changed. I summed it up to poor storage. My basement is sometimes too cold. At least I know of the outcomes. So for problems scents and colors I have been using the 464.

It was 415 with 3% BW from MC. I've since bailed on MC soy in favor of a blend of two different GB soys with the Universal Soy Additive in it. It seems to work well, pours hotter than plain 415, and it takes color real well. Outstanding cold throw and acceptable hot throw. Price is right, too, and I can pick up all the ingredients at CStore, only about 3 hour round trip.

geek :wink2:

It was 415 with 3% BW from MC. I've since bailed on MC soy in favor of a blend of two different GB soys with the Universal Soy Additive in it. It seems to work well, pours hotter than plain 415, and it takes color real well. Outstanding cold throw and acceptable hot throw. Price is right, too, and I can pick up all the ingredients at CStore, only about 3 hour round trip.

geek :wink2:

Acceptable hot throw? You are joking.

I have your candle burning right now in my dining room. It would literally throw you on the floor it's so strong. Being that I consider the scent you used to be a light thrower in most applications, I think this blend you concocted is working incredibly well. This candle kicks MAJOR ass Geek, great work.