micro hard

Going to attempt a hurricane, but the wax I find over here in UK has melt point of 57-59 (quick conversion to 134-138 I think) I found something called micro hard, use at 1-2%. Will this work ok? as I can't find any higher mp waxes :cry2:

Thanks

Kay (who keeps getting sidetracked, today by soaps, next project)

Hi, I'm not an expert, but yes micro hard is used to raise MP without loss of transparency.

You may start with 1-2%, in a book I have there is written you can use up to 20%.

You may want to test doing little pours in a cookie sheet or something with the different % and see the result.

Too much micro will make the wax brittle.

HTH

You might want to contact these folks and see if they can direct you to a distributor.

http://www.britishwax.com/

Higher MP waxes must be available. The question is who can sell them to you in small quantities.

Periodically people bring up the idea of using large amounts of micro in a low MP wax for hurricanes. I haven't tried it but I have doubts about it.

Hi Top, I had to quit my testing using micro because of that damned never melting wax I got.

Anyway, the information I reported is written in Bob Sherman's Candlemaking book.

He says it can be used up to 20% depending on the hardness you need.

I'm not good at chemical and maths, so when the right paraffin arrives I will do some practical test.

Thanks

Thanks, will have a test with it to see how it goes :undecided

Thanks top, have a price list from those guys already, they do sell in 5kg slabs, but the postage is the issue, there always seems to be surcharges for posting to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland- even though Inverness is a city- with an airport, trains and transport links aplenty :mad: we even have electricity! some people seem to think it's the middle of nowhere lol :sad2: small bugbear of mine! :cheesy2: Might give them a phone tomorrow to see if they can change the postal method :wink2: