sorry....preservative ???

It depends on what you're wanting. Here's a good part of that stickie. I use Liquipar Optima

The Breakdown

If your formula contains water, you can use:

Germaben II - less than 25% oil

Germaben II-E - more than 25% oil

Germall Plus

Liquid Germall Plus

Phenonip

Liquapar PE

Liquapar Optima

Optiphen

Optiphen Plus

If your formula contains only oils, butters and waxes and does not contain water but there is a possibility that the consumer could introduce water into the product, you can use:

Phenonip

Liquapar PE

Liquapar Optima

Liquapar Oil

Optiphen

Optiphen Plus

If your formula contains only oils, butters and waxes and does not contain water, you do not need a preservative, but I would highly recommend one. If the end user stores the product in the bath room or any humid environment, humidity can get in the product and cause bacterial, fungus, or yeast growth.

I use LiquaPar Optima for my scrubs, it's recommended when you have all oils/butters and no water.

Sorry, but I have to jump on this preservative question bandwagon too...I've been searching and searching for the answers but I must be putting in the wrong search words.

I'm looking for a preservative for my lip balms. There isn't any water added. I went to WSP to see if any of the descriptions made sense for what I was doing, and I just ended up with more questions...

Per WSP, Liquipar oil was recommended for lip products, but it said that for complex formulas to use Liquipar Optima...so what qualifies for a complex recipe? I found a lip balm recipe with a bunch of ingredients (more than 6 or 7 anyway) does that qualify as complex? As a newbie to B&B, everything is complex :rolleyes2

Second question is, at what point do you add the preservative? The instructions on WSP said to add the Liquipar Optima at the coolest temp...if the butters are melted in the microwave do you just let them cool off and then add it? Then if your concoction starts to harden before you get them all poured, is it still safe to remelt for a few seconds in the microwave?

I truely apologize for all of the questions but I can't find the answers to them anywhere. I think I need a B&B intervention team to come to my house for a hug LOL. :cry2:

I don't know why you want a preservative for a lip balm.

You have to follow the manufacturers recommendations as far as usage goes. Personally I do the 1% so for a 16 ounce scrub that would be .16 of an ounce

Second question is, at what point do you add the preservative? The instructions on WSP said to add the Liquipar Optima at the coolest temp...if the butters are melted in the microwave do you just let them cool off and then add it? Then if your concoction starts to harden before you get them all poured, is it still safe to remelt for a few seconds in the microwave?

I would recommend following the manufacturers instructions instead of WSP. It depends on what you're using. Some give you specific temps.

From ISP's website:

Applications

bullet2.gifFor use in a broad range of applications; especially effective in emulsions.

bullet2.gifSoluble in commonly used solvents and can be easily incorporated into most formulations; in aqueous systems, a co-solvent or surfactant may be needed to help solubilize the preservative.

bullet2.gifCan be used to preserve a wide range of leave-on and rinse-off products.

bullet2.gifCan be used in a pH range of 3.0-7.5.

bullet2.gifRecommended for use in personal care products at levels between 0.5-1.0%.

bullet2.gifHigher levels of LiquaPar Optima may be required in formulations with higher levels of non-ionics and proteins since these compounds are known to interfere with parabens.

bullet2.gifAlthough Phenoxyethanol is slightly volatile, LiquaPar Optima is stable at temperatures up to 85°C, but it is always best to add preservatives at the coolest possible temperature.

bullet2.gifFor cold mixed systems, add LiquaPar Optima early in the process to allow for adequate mixing.

So, your answers are: add it at a rate of .5% to 1%, which for 16 ounces would make it .08 to .16 ounces...however, make sure you're only weighing your OILS and BUTTERS and not your sugar with that, it will skew the percentage. And apparently, add it under 85* C. I usually add it at room temp. Feel free to ask more, HTH!