Chunk Candles ?

Like Devra says, soy is very opaque. Poeple have done it though. Here are a couple links:

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1093542427;start=2

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1087224113;start=5

If you want to stick with all soy, I would try using ecosoya advanced container blend (poured cool) as the over pour. It seems to take color a bit better than 100% or soy/cottonseed blend, so it may allow you to see the chunks better. I just poured IGI 6006 without color and it glows in glass containers much better than soy so you could use that if you don't mind using a natural/paraffin blend.

If you are talking about soy pillar chunks candles, all the soy pillar waxes I used are so opaque I couldn't imagine them working (though you would use that for the chunks themselves). When soy pillars are lit only the part right by the flame may glow a bit at the rim - but it seems to be just the light coming out the top of the pillar. Basically, you would only see the chunks as a seperate color, not the wax glowing. IMHO Paraffins are the best at doing these.

"IMHO Paraffins are the best at doing these."

I've been investigating this for a few days. I'd like to do chunk containers (not pillars) and am trying to figure out which wax(es) would be good, especially for the overpour. Translucency seems to be a bit tricky with a container wax. Any suggestions?

Yes, try the 6006 if you want to use a container wax. IMHO its nowhere near as opaque as regular soy waxes even though it says "opaque". Its really soft though, so I would NOT use it to make the chunks themselves. Peaks' site seems to suggest using a straight paraffin (1343) for overpour in pillars AND containers : See http://www.candletech.com/chunkcandles/index.htm.

HTH

I've noticed that on other sites, too, but I'm pretty sure that is strictly a pillar wax and not a "container" wax. I use 6006 but didn't think it would be clear enough. Someone told me they use J50 for both the "chuncks" and the overpour and they turn out fine. I have some of that, too, so I'm just not sure which one to try. I just got a sample slab of IGI mottling wax (1288B, I think) and was wondering how "transluscent" that one might be. Maybe I'll have to try all three!