splitting candle

Hello everyone, as I'm new to this forums, I may face certain difficulties with its proper usage.

A question: you may have already discussed this, but I wonder if someone have already tried and succeded in making a spliting pillar candle? that is a candle that splits in 2 half while burning (unfortunately I do not have any photos now with me, but I'll try to get some)

The way I would approach that is to have a nylon cord running through the pillar, like fishing line or something, which would melt when the candle burns down to a certain point, releasing a spring loaded mechanism that would then whack the candle with an axe. Maybe I'll make up a tester and post in the gallery if it works.

it's a specific burning effect, actually. the sides (2 of them, of course) are like getting dislocated from the epicenter (or wick position), but no negatice effects are present (the parafine still evaporates normally)

it's a specific burning effect, actually. the sides (2 of them, of course) are like getting dislocated from the epicenter (or wick position), but no negatice effects are present (the parafine still evaporates normally)

I guess I'm not able to wrap my brain around this one, pictures would help.

If you cannot figure out how to post, simply make a reply and then click on the paperclip. This will let you browse your computer to post the picture. If it's a link to some place, simply copy that link and paste it into your post. If you go the paper clip method, once you've uploaded the picture, click on the paperclip again and click on the name of your picture. It should upload. It won't upload if it's too big or a file not supported.

Oh I see. It's a foliating candle. I've always wanted to experiment with making those but have never had time. It's a rather tricky marriage of the right wick with the right wax to make the effect work really well. Best to start off with a concave mold. The leaves develop with repeated 3 hour burns.

I have had this happen to my 2" pillars but not as extreme. It was years ago, but my recipe was something like this: 10 lbs 1242 (139 mp), 5 tsp luster crystals, 5 tsp mold release, unscented, wick #4/0 Sq. I used plexiglass molds then and they were slightly concave. Mine did not do it on both sides, it would be just one. I think that there was something about the particular batch of wax I had at that time though. As it only happened for a short time and stopped once I got more wax.

Janette

I, personally have never attempted this. I don't know what type of wax or wick they use, but I have seen something simular (sp) to this somewhere on the web. I believe they called it a flowering candle (pillar)? This is not the effect I would want personally, but it is different. Maybe try to google it and see what ya come up with.

Steph in tx