Coffee Butter...? properties/qualities, using SoapCalc

michelleB

I know, the thread title is confusing, but I couldn't figure out how to sum up my question/quandry in one little sentence.

I want to figure up a recipe using some coffee butter, and I use SoapCalc for my batches, but I don't know what to do about the coffee butter since it's not listed as an option. I've never worked with it before, so I'm clueless as to what properties it brings to the soap...hence my quandry. I don't know how much I need to use to make a good soap.

Is there another soap recipe calculator out there that lists coffee butter and the values for it? Thanks a bunch in advance!

You can try www.summerbeemeadow.com they have a soap calculator but I don't know if it has coffee butter yet. HTH

ETA: On the soapcalc they do have an ingredient listed as "coffee bean (roasted)". You might check to see if the properties are equal to coffee butter. If so, you could use that for your recipe.

I've been literally working on a coffee butter bar recipe for HOURS :cry2: !! I can't come up with good numbers though (they're all 131 for INS). The soap calc has a coffee bean (roasted) as an oil/butter I'm wondering if that's the same thing, I've been using that ????

My computer is acting up so I need to restart it then I'll look what the properties for it.

This info was listed in a co-op SYR was going to do

[Proposed INCI Name = Coffea Arabica Seed Oil / Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil]

Coffee Butter has a pleasant appearance and the mild, fragrant aroma of fresh roasted coffee. Due to coffee’s growing popularity, this butter will find wide acceptance among the youth and mature consumer markets alike. It is produced via partial hydrogenation of roasted coffee oil pressed from Coffea arabica seeds. Coffee oil mainly contains polyunsaturated linoleic acid

with a high content of palmitic acid. Coffee Butter offers high oxidative stability (a lower linoleic content) with an exceptional smooth and elegant skin feel. Coffee Butter exhibits excellent spreadability, making it ideal as a body butter or carrier for unique skin treatment products. May be used in cosmetics, toiletries, soaps, massage oils & balms, hair care and

sun care preparations.

MMS has coffee butter in their soap calculator.

http://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php I know it doesn't tell you about the properties but I used about 20% in my soaps but I could see using even 10% as plenty.

I'm sooooo glad you chimed in! It's totally YOUR fault I'm tryin to do this! LOLOL. It's that dang coffee butter soap you sent in to the swap that got me hooked, and now I've gotta pull my hair out til I can get the recipe just right. That soap was just awesome!

Sherie...I was thinking maybe I could use that "coffee bean" option on the soapcalc, but not sure. What else could it be for??? Maybe that IS the right thing. Might try it on a couple of different calcs to see if it comes out the same.

Maryann...looks like we're in the same boat then, lol. Thanks so much for finding that info! I tell ya, I'll GET this if it kills me! I'll post more info as I find it, in case somebody else needs to know later and does a search at this forum.

Thanks soooooo much everybody!

Good Job TB !!!! Her soaps REALLY do rock :drool: I received her fruit scented soap that swap, so I can only imagine what the coffee bar was like. She got me hooked on a few other scents as well. She definately has a knack for picking soap scents :yes:.

If I come up w/ one I'll let you know ~ maybe we'll have to do a coffee bar swap between the two of us :D I have the scent and the look all figured out its just the recipe that's lacking -LOL

If I come up w/ one I'll let you know ~ maybe we'll have to do a coffee bar swap between the two of us :D I have the scent and the look all figured out its just the recipe that's lacking -LOL

ROFL!! Well...the recipe is sorta an important part, LOLOL! You crack me up. And yep, that's a good idea about the swappin of the bars when we get em done! I'd love that. I've got a scent in mind for mine too, so just figuring out the % of ingredients now and I'll be ready to dive in!

pssst...<whispering secretly>...I think TB is an undercover recruit for some of these suppliers. She seems to inspire us to go buy stuff we'd have never thought of before, LOL! ;)

You guys are to funny. :yes:

Michelle, if I could find my recipe I would give it to you but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I didn't create it myself but I sorta copied from guppygirls recipe and added different stuff and varied the % I think. I did add black cocoa butter instead of regular cocoa butter that she added to her bar. I really think the black cb made the bar yummy. I'll tell ya, that was the most expensive bar of soap I have made and I gave them all away. :tongue2: I should have sold them for $10.00 each. :P

I bought 2 lbs of Coffee Butter awhile back and gave it away cause I couldn't get past the stink. I could not smell coffee just that smell that some oils give off. This co-op SYR, says Veg. oil, I would think that would not have a smell. Has anyone smelled the one from this co-op? Or better yet how would I make a coffee smelling butter using real coffee, oils and butters I like.

I bought 2 lbs of Coffee Butter awhile back and gave it away cause I couldn't get past the stink. I could not smell coffee just that smell that some oils give off. This co-op SYR, says Veg. oil, I would think that would not have a smell. Has anyone smelled the one from this co-op? Or better yet how would I make a coffee smelling butter using real coffee, oils and butters I like.

Sharon this part of the co-op never happened as she couldn't get enough interest :cry2: I have MMS's coffee butter and it smells just like coffee but it loses the scent when you add it to products (except for a butter where you just add an oil that has no scent).

BCB=Black Cocoa Butter

not Coffee butter

Coffee Butter ( Coffea Arabica Seed Oil and Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil)

Bar Soap 3% to 5% Recommended. However, I have seen others use it as high as 20%

As far as the properties it lends to soap, go with what Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil does. That will give you the best description since Coffee Butter is a blended butter.