Craft show "testers"

MichelleOH

I'll be doing a show this fall w/ my B&B and was thinking do I need testers for every scent a carry? Say if I have 12 lotion scents..should I have 12 testers so people can try them out? How about butters, shea,,,etc. What do you all do? I'm used to doing candle shows where the customer just picks up the candles & takes a whiff!

I usually only take 5-6 scents to shows. It never fails that people will want to "try" something you don't have a tester in, so make sure you have testers for each product (not just scent). For example, have a tester in each scent for lotions, each scent for sprays, etc, etc....just my experience. I also know as a consumer, if I can't test it, I most likely won't buy it. :)

From my experience, I dont sell any manly type scents. I do offer them, just so happens that the majority of my customers are woman. So I take 1 manly type scent and 4 girly type scents. The men usually buy more candles than anything and you would be surprised at the scents they choose in candles:shocked2:

I usually had full size testers when I did lotions, but I only did 5-6 scents. I sold 2 and 4 oz with disk caps, and my testers were 8 oz pump bottles.

I found it really helped cross sales - someone would test a blackberry sage lotion, love it and buy it, then buy the candles to match.

I take 12 scents of B&B to shows and it's not that big of a deal. We sell 4oz and 8oz lotions in malibu tubes and 8oz liquid soaps in boston rounds. We just have one 2oz tester bottle of every scent. So even if somebody just wants to buy soap, they can still smell the lotion tester.

We keep our tester basket around when we're making batches of lotion and refill them then.

Definitely have some kind of tester for every scent because otherwise people will just pop the lids off and have at them (sometimes they do this anyway). We used to have full-size testers, but that seemed confusing to folks since they were they same size as the for-sale products. They would pick up a sell-able lotion by accident thinking it was the tester.

Good luck at your show!! :smiley2:

I have 12 different scents that I drag to each of my home parties. I purchased some small 1 oz sample sized containers, and filled with different fo's of shea butter. That way, each and every person has to try a shea in order to smell the scent. Then most will get that instead of a lotion. Then I can normally get them to purchase the shower gel, soapy scrub, body spray, and what not with my 3 for deals! Works great for me, and not any headache to speak of!

Good luck at your show!

I have 12 different scents that I drag to each of my home parties. I purchased some small 1 oz sample sized containers, and filled with different fo's of shea butter. That way, each and every person has to try a shea in order to smell the scent. Then most will get that instead of a lotion. Then I can normally get them to purchase the shower gel, soapy scrub, body spray, and what not with my 3 for deals! Works great for me, and not any headache to speak of!

Good luck at your show!

Heather, thanks for that great idea:)

Then I can normally get them to purchase the shower gel, soapy scrub, body spray, and what not with my 3 for deals! Works great for me, and not any headache to speak of!

Good luck at your show!

So tell us o wise one, how does the 3 for deal work?