Need Advice Please

Ok I have been using ecosoya pure soy and I was just wondering if some of my problems are normal or if there is some thing I am doing wrong or need to change?Also using mostly 9% fragrance load.

First I am having a lot of air bubbles. I have tried pouring at all temps between 125 and 150. And I am cooling in the oven(off of course) Should I try pouring hotter?

Second, I seem to have a lot of residue on the glass once the candle has burned down. Is this a normal characteristic of Soy or is it something I may be doing?

Third, when I do cool in the oven I seem to be getting sink holes on some batches.And still get a few air bubbles (although they arent bad, mostly at the top of the glass)

These are my main concerns for right now. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rebecca

Hi Ida,

DO NOT COOL IN OVEN!!

Ovens are insulated, they do not get the proper air flow for proper cooling.

Ever opened the oven when baking a cake or bread? When the cool air does hit the product, it creates a sink hole, or a collapse when baking.

If you have the candles in the oven with the door ajar, sink holes, air pockets galore. Just set it on top of stove or where ever you are comfortable...as long as there is no draft, open windows, opening doors, fans, etc., as these all effect the way the candles will set up.

You will probably be fine. I don't see that you are doing anything unacceptable other than cooling in the oven. Keep the pouring to a cooler temp for smoother tops...120 is good, recently I have been trying at 130-ish and surprised to find it just as good.

This is a beautiful wax, very easy to work with..how ya doing wicking??

Best wishes,

Fern-Marie

I agree with fern-marie about the cooling. I found a very large styrofoam cooler that I cut a side wall out of and use that for setting up candles. works great, I set the cover upside down on the counter and pour--then put the cooler over the top to stop drafts and slow cooling for nice smooth air bubble free candles ;) as for the residue...you would have to explain more what it looks like. if you are talking about a cloudy residue on the glass, yes that seems to be normal--I have that on mine after they burn to the bottom but it cleans right out...it's not even really a residue more of a film, thin film. if you mean wax all over the sides then your candle is tunnelling and you aren't using the right sized wick for the jar. explain more about the residue you are seeing and I'm sure one of us can help you

First, I agree about the cooling. I cool mine on top of the stove and they do just fine. If they get a draft, maybe cover them with a box. Also, if you are getting air bubbles, you may be heating your wax too hot, should be 190 or less. Anything over 200 and I sometimes get air bubbles. The residue is normal with soy candles, as long as it isn't leaving a bunch of hangup on the sides.

Another suggestion for cooling is to put the candles back in the box they they came in to allow them to cool.

Don't overheat the wax and make sure not to pour too quickly as that can cause air bubble too.

Depending on the size of the sink hole, and if its not that big, you might be able to fix it by zapping with a heat gun.

Don't worry, you'll get this all down. Good luck. :)

I did a batch last night and cooled them on the stove with my cake taker lid over them, WOW no air bubbles and no sink holes. What doesn't make any sense is that I was doing it this way before and getting bad bubbles, thats why I started putting them in the oven. Maybe I was pouring too fast before? Hopefully it wasn't just this FO that I used last night. Do You guys pre heat your jars, and at what temp do you pour usually?

Thank You so much for the help all!!!:yay:

Sometimes when the weather changes, it can change how your candles comes out when pouring. So with weather changes, you might need to adjust your pouring temps and such. That's why there are so many different experiences with waxes. What works for one person might not work for the next since pouring conditions can vary from person to person. Each wax too is different when it comes to pouring temps. The wax I use has to be poured at around 100 or when slushy. But currenlty I am testing other waxes that I can pour at a higher temp. I also don't prehea my jars and will zap the tops with a heat gun when necessary.

Fern-Marie

What temp do you scent your wax at if you pour at 130ish?

Thanks

Rebecca

Add scent, depending on what temp I will pour at, 140 is fine, 130 is fine...just make sure to stir thouroughly, and above all gently.

For tarts, 130, and pour at 120, for larger holders I add higher and pour higher. This is a very user-friendly wax, very flexible. I have used several others, and I like this one very much.

I am glad that the non-oven thing worked for ya! I used to do the same thing. I learned too. OY! What a mess...the frosting was horrendous, sinkholes, what a nightmare.

I just put mine on top of the stove and threaten my DH not to open the door or I'll damage him. I try to do the pouring when he is not around. As great as this wax is, it can be very particular about its cooling process...like most.

Hope all is well for you.

...Just thought of something else, make sure that you are at least rinsing out your glassware. Glassware is manufactured with a glazing that washes off.

Its purpose is to prevent dust, and fingerprints from adhering to the glass.

I have seen wax pull away from the glass due to the glaze.

I do not preheat my jars, and pour slowly to prevent bubbles. If you think it's a problem, tap the jar down...place a towel on the stove, and tap the filled jars a time or two...gently...this also releases air bubbles...just like baking.

Fern Marie,

Thanks for all your help. I really like this wax too. I have only tried 4-5 different waxes but I like this best. It's funny you mention rinsing jars, my DH just suggested that maybe that could be the problem. Guess I shoulda listened to him huh...LOL. Thanx again!!! Rebecca