For those that do craft fairs...

I hadn't planned to get into selling at all, but I'm having so much fun at this and I can only burn so many candles, so I'm wondering about craft fairs. I'm thinking of maybe preparing for one (that isn't until October - I have a LOT of testing to do, pretty new to this) and after reading through the tips threads I know what I need to bring. Just wondering, for a small fair in a small town, how much product do you all suggest having on hand? I'm thinking of doing my soy in 250ml jelly jars, layered with 3 scents/colors in different themes with matching boxes of votives and tealights in paraffin, once everything is perfected. What's a good starting point, if I don't want to drag home cases of candles?

I've read through threads on pricing. Is 2 - 3 times the actual cost a pretty good rule for pricing candles?

Can I pack 3 different scents in the same box (tealights and votives) without messing up the smells? I'm loving the idea of groups of three, wondering if it'll work.

Thanks!

Hi BrandNewToCandles,

I find that packing various scents together interfers with being able to smell individual scents well. I've found they sort of mingle together, but once separated for a while become true again. I try not to let different scents share the same box. This would not matter with container candles with tight lids.

For pricing myself, my costs of materials (all aspects) plus my labour costs for production combine to make my wholesale price. My retail price is double my wholesale. I hope that doesn't sound too vague. To me, my labour costs have to be accounted for.

As for how much to take to a show. I think everyone will tell you, "As much as you can". To start, check with the coordinator and ask what the expected attendance is. If you can find another vendor who does this show, ask for advice on what to expect. Every show is soooo different, this is a question that can't really be answered well I'm afraid. But if you can find out what the average booth revenues are, that will give you a good referrence point. Sometimes a new face at a show will sell like crazy, and sometimes you have to do the same show a few times before you see good results. I think that candles especially are one item that some people may not buy the very first time they see them. I find that repeating the same show each year, my customer base goes up over time. I think people trust you more when they start to recognize your products more.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Janette

I was thinking about that, the smells mingling as they burn. Any specific bad combinations you'd like to share, help me avoid? I was thinking groups of the same type of smell, obviously: fruit, flowers, coffee drinks, cocktails, christmas (foods), pies, berries. Any two fruits, flowers, drinks, etc. that should never be layered together?

I knew I forgot something lol

A good way to use up scents that don't sell on their own is to layer them with complementing scents. For example, Frangelico or marshmallow on their own -nuthin- but if I layer them with chocolate they sell. Same is true of almond, I add a layer of cherry *voila* it sells. Think scents that complement each other & work it to use up your stock :)