Square Braid in Jars

what would happen if you used square braid wick in a container? I ask because in a previous thread I accidently said that I used square braid in a jar when in fact I used cd22 - but that got me thinking about whether there would actually be any problem with using square braid?

If, for example, you used #3 that's good enough for a 3-4 inch pillar, so, logically it would work in a jar as long as it was tabbed and attached correctly...what do you think?

I may give it a go I have a whole reel of #3 and lots of jars to fill!

You might devise a way to make it work. Plain flat ply and square braid don't seem to be used much for that application because they're too floppy. Traditionally cored wick is used for jars because it's rigid. The fancier flat braids like CD and LX are also designed for the purpose because in addition to the cotton braid they have other fibers woven in to stiffen them up.

if the wick was tabbed and held with a wick holder while the candle set..then the floppiness wouldn't matter much would it? if you burn a jar for a few hours you only get an inch or so of liquid, which isn't enough for the wick to fall over. Hmmm...I may try some out and see what happens - will let you know the results!