Value of supplies

Just got a package from the US - 10 pounds paraffin wax, 9 oz oils and 50 wicks (don't have all the specific details). I paid $51 US for the package including shipping and handling. The seller declared the value of the package at $150 US. Is this a mistake or could that amount of candle supplies possibly be worth $150?! I'm upset because once goods cross the border I have to pay the proper duty and taxes and a package that I paid $61 Canadian for cost me an additional $30.95 in duty. That's $92 Canadian for 10 pounds wax, 9 oz oil and 50 wicks!! Just wondering if I have grounds for a claim for a refund of duty? Thanks.

Hi Deana,

You should not be paying any duty on products bought from the U.S. Did this shipment come through UPS? If so, you have paid brokerage fees to UPS, not duty. Canadians must pay GST on goods from the U.S. but not duty (as long as the goods were produced in the U.S.) If this shipment came to you through the mail, I would head down to the Post Office and see what's up.

Check with the Canadian suppliers that wre mentioned in your previous thread. I think you could have gotten those same supplies in Canada for the same cost or less.

Cheers

Janette

Nope, not UPS. Sent USPS air mail and delivered by Canada Post. Maybe duty is the wrong word, I think it's customs fees - $5 + 15% of the declared value. I have paid these fees before and they don't bother me, as long as I pay taxes on the actual value. I just think declaring that amount of supplies at $150 is a bit much. Had I paid the right amount of taxes on the actual cost, I would have saved about $20 as compared to Canadian suppliers. The real kicker is, this stuff wasn't even purchased from a company, just a regular old ebay seller...

A 10 lb slab of wax retails here for around USD12.00 while a packet of 50 wicks would cost around USD3.00.

When you say you got 9 oz of oil, did you mean one 9 oz bottle or nine 1 oz bottles or some other combo? Depending on the combo, the value would differ. A 9 oz bottle would be worth around USD12.00 while a 1 oz bottle would be around USD2.50.

Add that all up and it's way less than USD150.00.

Hi Deanna,

I don't understand why you have to pay any fees above the $5.00 and the GST. Were the goods you purchased not produced in North America? I never pay any fees other than above, for goods from the US, if sent by Post.

As for the declared value being $150, I suspect the sender insured the goods for that amount, why is anyone's guess. Perhaps they hope it gets lost and then they can collect more on insurance, no idea. Why don't you contact the seller and ask them what is up?

Hope you solve this one.

Cheers

Janette