HELP with "curdled" CP soap

elle110

Ok, last night was making CP, with a recipe i use a lot, but a FO that I have never soaped with. It was Ocean Mist from Natures Garden and is supposed to be soap safe. Everything was going fine, added color, superfat then the FO and immediately it started curdling. I decided to keep stirring to incorporate good instead of panicking. I poured in mold and then unmolded a few minutes ago, the loaf looked great until I cut it, in some placed there are pocketes of FO which start oozing out as cut. Not all of the bars are like this but then again I wouldn't know because pockets could be inside the bars that I cannot see.

Any ideas on what happened? I have never had anything happen like this before.

Thanks

Michelle

I'm very new to CP, but it seems to me that FO was the culprit.

I found out that just because an FO may say "soap safe" it just means that it wont irritate the skin, it doesnt necessarily mean that it will work on CP soap.

Im not sure if you rebatch this soap or not, someone more experienced could tell us that though :-)

Everything was going fine, added color, superfat then the FO and immediately it started curdling. Michelle

Michelle, I've had the curds before and been very successful continuing on with HP when that happened. Sounds like a perfect rebatch candidate to me!

e

Michelle, I've had the curds before and been very successful continuing on with HP when that happened. Sounds like a perfect rebatch candidate to me!

e

Hey E,

Sorry to hijack the thread here but I was wonder are those curds considered "ricing." Thanks!

I'd call it ricing too. Sometimes you can beat them into submission, but sometimes you've got to cook them out, like Eugenia said.

Just because a FO is "soap safe" doesn't always mean it will work in CP - it might be CP tested, but mostly it just means the fragrance was made with skin safe components. That's why it's nice if a supplier posts CP results.

Thanks everyone, the soap is curing and it seems as if the curds are drying up, I just cut a bar into several chunks and they are drying through, I also used the soap and it seems to be ok.

What method would i use to rebatcht the soap, I have never done that before

Thanks everyone, the soap is curing and it seems as if the curds are drying up, I just cut a bar into several chunks and they are drying through, I also used the soap and it seems to be ok.

What method would i use to rebatcht the soap, I have never done that before

Whatever the method, you grate or shred the soap. I use my saladshooter for this. If the soap is fresh, you should not have to add any liquid. The latest one I tried was microwave. Put the shreds in a large bowl and nuke for 5 minutes, stir, nuke again, etc. until all melted and creamy. It won't be pourable. You can mist with a little water if you need to. Mold as usual, mashing down really hard to get the air pockets out. If your mold has a lid, now is a good time to use it. Cover the soap with saran and then the lid. Put it on a low surface and push on the lid.

e