Jim's question has me worried...

His post titled "Flase Advertising" got me to thinking about my candle sizes and advertising... I realize that liquid weight is diff. than solid and know that 16oz soild wax is 20oz liquid.

SO! What should I claim my pint (Ball jars)container candles are when they are a finished product? 10oz? 0r 12oz?

I am thinking they would be considered 10oz. :confused::undecided:rolleyes2

I was thinking of that too - I use 8 oz jelly jars and they hold a little less wax than 8 oz. I got around it by saying the candle comes in an 8 oz jelly jar, instead of calling it an 8 oz candle. Everyone knows what an 8 oz jelly jar is, so it's easier for them to imagine the size when you call it that way.

I was thinking of that too - I use 8 oz jelly jars and they hold a little less wax than 8 oz. I got around it by saying the candle comes in an 8 oz jelly jar, instead of calling it an 8 oz candle. Everyone knows what an 8 oz jelly jar is, so it's easier for them to imagine the size when you call it that way.

That's what I do. People probably wouldn't understand if you said a 7 ounce candle in what is clearly an 8 ounce jelly jar. Maybe think you are not filling the jar all the way, LOL. The little difference really is not enough to call it false advertising. I had jars I found in Menards of all places, which held 16 ounces of wax. Someone on ebay had the same jars and said they were 22 ounces. Now that is false advertising.

You should weigh your finished product (minus the weight of the jar). THAT is your net weight and what should go on your label.

That is good to know. I had been putting "8 oz jelly jar candle" on my label because I thought "8 oz jelly jar candle, net weight 7 oz" would be confusing.

Guy's you are not false advertising..Many items are weight controled by the jar itself...When you go to the store..Do you take the can or jar home..Pour out the contents weigh the container then seperate the juice weigh it..then the product itself??? If the jar is stated 8 or 16 etc..etc..that is what should be stated unless you are selling scents per pound instead of liquid ounces in a 16 ounce bottle...Kind regards,linda

I wouldn't write 8 fl oz - your candle isn't liquid. If product is solid, you use weight. If product is mostly liquid, you use fluid. What everyone is doing is taking the shortcut of having customers understand the size you are using from being familiar with the jar in canning or whatnot.

According to the letter of the law, that would be incorrect. But, the whole point of labeling is so customers can compare sizes and understand what they are getting for their money. So if pint/quart or the usual description of the jar can do that, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have a weight on the label, you're ahead of everyone that doesn't follow the FPLA

Guy's you are not false advertising..Many items are weight controled by the jar itself...When you go to the store..Do you take the can or jar home..Pour out the contents weigh the container then seperate the juice weigh it..then the product itself??? If the jar is stated 8 or 16 etc..etc..that is what should be stated unless you are selling scents per pound instead of liquid ounces in a 16 ounce bottle...Kind regards,linda

LMAO, how true.

Yes, it does. I have the actual link on my computer at work, and it specifically calls out candles as one of the products that are covered by the law. I'll post the link tomorrow when I get to work.

Edited - this is the one I think I have - it has the text

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/laws/fpla.html#1452

The consumer commodities it covers are things that are "consumed or expended"...

I have found that all waxes don't weigh the same either. Seems like you get less in the jar when using a single pour or soy type. Also the pouring temp seems to make a difference as well. You get less when you pour cool vs hot like with some soys. My 16 oz keepsake jar only holds 14 oz of soy wax. This is considering I am leaving room for the lid as well. I call it a 14 oz Keepsake Candle, others call it a 16 oz and sell it for more. My 9 oz straight sided jar fits 8 oz of wax, so it is an 8 oz candle.

Stick your jar with wick on your scale, then turn it on and pour your wax in. This will give you your net wt. of your candle.

Say you sold candle plates with your pillar candles. Would you weigh the candle plate as well? Just because your candle has a container does not mean your wax weighs more. Think of the container as packaging, nothing more, nothing less.