Gunna Give it a Go, is this a good start?

Should be getting my tax refund check in the next couple of days, and i've decided that i'm going to try and take candles and lotions beyond a hobby and the occasional sale to some friends and co-workers. needed to add that i have my wifes support

so my plan is to see what i can do with a "small":rolleyes2 start up investment 600 - 750 dollars

the products, tarts, votives, and containers (ocassionally some octagon pillars, they are the ony

only pillars ppl like at my work)

and after many, many hours, did i mention MANY HOURS... of shopping around, i've compiled my shopping list

Lonestar candle supply

case of j-50

case of OK6228/1

36 6.5 oz classic jars

36 10 oz classic jars

36 16 oz classic jars

lx-10 wicks

--------------------------

$279.58 (aprox)

the candle source

going to get about 150 -200 dollars in FO's

probable 8oz bottle, this way when i test, if it's good i maybe can have some to acutally use to sell (i have no illusions on this)

i picked the candle souce because i've been very impressed on all the fo's i've gotten there while i've been "playing"

two sizes ziplock bags

-------------------

$200

BCN

2 B&B safe dyes (already have 2)

2 gallons hand and body lotion

36 8 oz bottles and pump tops

candle labels

lx 14, 16, and 18 wicks

pixie tray tart (i already have tart molds, just want to play w/ this)

-------------------

$107

adittional charges i'm expecting, ink for printer, labels, some other fo's (peaks, BCN)

and candle additives i'm sure there will be others.......

thanks for any feedback (good, bad, and the ugly) in advance

Sounds like you have a good plan but always expect the unexpected. On some of the oils you haven't tried, you might want to get samples. I have often ordered 1# of something I haven't tried only to regret it later. Just test,test and test. That's the key to it all so you have quality products to sell to the public. Good luck on your venture and I'm sure you'll do well.:)

I am with Grumpy Girl....get one type of jar and test it out and then add more sizes etc. I made the mistake of trying to many sizes and scents all at once. Definitely recommined only purchasing sample size scents to test with and if they are a hit order more. I started off wrong an ordered # bottles to save money and now they are sitting on my shelf.

HTH!

I'm with the others. I'd get the 10 ounce jars to start. What will you do if people don't like the style of jar you carry? I'd add the 6.5 and 16 if you find that style of jar is working. When you sell, ask if there is any interest in other sizes of jars. You'll find that it helps to ask your customers what they would like to see you sell.

Perhaps you could get some cyclo for room and body sprays? This would allow you to make 'baskets' with B&B products. Since I am a *bath bomb gone bad* kinda girl...maybe make some fizzy milk bath?

i would go with one jar also.i would pick the smaller one that is what i sell the most of. most people wont buy a large jar till they try your candles out.i would go with sample packs also will save you $$.if at all possible i would find a local pick up on wax and jars.i hate shipping even if you have to use jelly jars you can buy nice lids for them on the Internet.

I have to agree - start with one jar. It will make your life so much easier and then while you are selling that jar, you will be making money that will help you start testing a new jar. Also, it stinks to test a jar and find out that it won't sell very well for you. Or to find out that you can't get the wicking down, etc.

Also, buy samples first. Some Fos smell really similiar, some you won't like and some won't throw. Don't waste money on buying larger sizes. I would get a sample pack. Test all the samples, then place a large order for the 16oz bottles of the FOs you decide to use along with some more samples to test.

Stick with a few Fos and build up from there. Doing one jar and something like 6 scents will take much less time to perfect than doing more than one jar and/or doing 50 scents. Once you get those 6 down, start selling and add more as you test. It is much less confusing this way. Also, you will find out what your customers like.

Try Fos from more than one company, but no more than 3-4 suppliers at first (I know, this can be really hard). I've narrowed my supplier list down because it just gets too expensive to buy from a hundered different places. But it is also nice to try FOs from different suppliers.

Good luck with your business. It sounds like you have a good plan in place, so I think you'll do just fine. Keep us posted :D

I would start with one jar size. I have never bought larger than a sample size of scent to test. There are lots of oils out there that just dont throw. I would rather not "throw" away my money on the larger size bottles. If you buy a sample size and it "works" then when you buy a pound of the scent, just refill the sample bottle and put it up for sale or trade in the classified section to get some money back. When I started out I would just pouring a baby food jar and only used about 1/7 th of my ounce sample. If it worked I poured the larger jar and tested the throw, color and wick combo and still had oil left in the sample bottle. If it didnt work I sold the sample and just listed it as almost a full ounce. Lots of suppliers dont weight the sample sizes, most of the time you get more that an ounce anyway. Bruce

Thanks to all for the advice, and support, i will definatley got w/ just the one jar (10 oz) and cut back on the fo sizes. Goal is to provide the best product i can, and hopefully eventually make a profit.

and believe me, i expect the unexpected, heck, i make a tidy profit playing poker, other people do some unexpected things, lol.