question about how to use butters/oils together

I've searched everywhere for the answer- my personal herbal library and online but havent been able to find the answer to this. Hopefully you guys can help.

I am trying to make some of my first skin care oils/mixtures- and I wanted to try using shea butter/ kokum butter along with some of my other oils.

I know you have to heat up the butters slightly to turn them into a liquid... but when you add that heated up liquid to another oil or mixture of oils what happens? Does it resolidify when it cools and clump at the bottom leaving the oils on the top? or does it stay liquid when mixed with oils in its heated liquid state?

I really want to find a way of adding the butters to oils but not making a balm- hopefully something sufficiently liquid it can be put in a lotion type bottle.:o

I make face and body butters all the time with just a mix of oils and butters. If it was mixed while at the liquid stage it will solidify all together. Sometimes if it gets warm out a very small layer of oil will appear on the top but its nothing major. It depends how much oil you add to the butters wheather it will be liquididy enough to go into a lotion bottle. There are probably recipies out there but I just go by trial and error because I like to use my own combination of butters and oils. Also, I have read you can add a bit of Dryflow to the mix to make it less greasy but I have not tried it yet. HTH

Lara

I'm a little unclear on your question - but I'll answer what I *think* you're asking. If you add the warm butters to room-temp oils, there's a good chance that the butters will solidify too quickly and get weird and clumpy. HOwever, if you slightly warm the oils, where the oils and butters are no more than 15* apart, then they will incorporate perfectly and stay incorporated through the cooling stage.