Wicking Large Tumblers & Fragrances

Hibiscus

Hi,

I am about to start making gel candles and I have lots of 3 inch and 4 inch tumblers that I want to use but I'm not sure where to began with the wicking. I have on hand, cd-10, cd-14,cd-16, LX26, #2 square cotton and 51-36-18z.

So, will any of these work for a 3 or 4 inch tumbler?. I do recall reading that zinc core is better for gel but since I have absolutley no experience with it I am hoping that someone can help me with this. I also have a case of those votive glasses...also, what fragrances has the strongest hot or cold throw for you and where did you purchase them?

TIA :)

I'm a gel newbie myself. For the tumblers you could start with the zinc wicks. BUT if you haven't made gel candles before you will want to read though this section 1st. Check the FAQ for gel candles. There are several safety issues you need to be aware of. One biggy is you CAN NOT use just any FO for gel candles. It has to be gel safe and then you still need to do a polarity test before using it. Also if you read some of the recent posts you'll see where gel should not be burned like paraffin. You will want a coating of gel left in the tumbler. Same with the votive glass. I used 44z i=with the flower pots but you could test the CDs.

1st you need to do some research.

I hope some one can help on the other wicks but that zinc cored one I would try in the 3" it will not be big enough for the 4". I don't like the LX for any thing with depth they are not ridged enough for my taste. I use some HTPs which is simiular to the CDs but I am not sure what size match up to what size so I can't really help there.

I'm a gel newbie myself. For the tumblers you could start with the zinc wicks. BUT if you haven't made gel candles before you will want to read though this section 1st. Check the FAQ for gel candles. There are several safety issues you need to be aware of. One biggy is you CAN NOT use just any FO for gel candles. It has to be gel safe and then you still need to do a polarity test before using it. Also if you read some of the recent posts you'll see where gel should not be burned like paraffin. You will want a coating of gel left in the tumbler. Same with the votive glass. I used 44z i=with the flower pots but you could test the CDs.

1st you need to do some research.

I read all of the instructions for makind gel candles and it seems that like soy, paraffin and other wax the main issue is always wicking and scenting. I am prepared to test all of my fragrances before using any of them. I read the instructions on this site as well as other sites sooooooo I just need to get started! I am testing soy waxes and making canes, cosmetics and other stuff...I'm pretty busy with all that and I simply set aside a day for each and that keeps me focused...Thanks for the reply:)

I hope some one can help on the other wicks but that zinc cored one I would try in the 3" it will not be big enough for the 4". I don't like the LX for any thing with depth they are not ridged enough for my taste. I use some HTPs which is simiular to the CDs but I am not sure what size match up to what size so I can't really help there.

Thanks and I figured i would try that one first in a smaller container. I don't suppose gel can be wicked after it is poured in order to test the wick?

Thanks

hope this helps as far as zinc.....

51-32-18 zinc coreLt Wax ~ Gel 8" 15mm

15mm tab

3" - 4" dia. 5.80 Containers, beeswax ~ gel 50 pk $4.75

100 pk $8.25

60-44-18 zinc core Lt Wax ~ Gel 8" 15mm

15mm. tab

4" - 5" dia. 6.63 Containers, beeswax ~ gel 50 pk $4.75

100 pk $8.25

62-52-18 zinc core Lt Wax ~ Gel 6" 20mm

10mm tab

4.5" - 5.5" dia. 7.24 Containers, beeswax ~ gel

i tried to get the chart w/o the prices, but couldn't seem to do it.

fwiw, this is from www.aromahaven.com.

i use zinc for all of my gel candles.

cheryl

Thanks to all of you for the wick charts and other suggestions. I'm not familair with all the wicks as I have just started with candle making and I have come across quite a few wick charts in all my searching. I guess I wanted to know from some of your personal experiences how certain wicks woked for you and that might give me a starting point with the purchasing and testing. I was hoping to use some of the ones I have. I should be getting samples of other wicks soon...well thanks again!:smiley2:

sorrry if you got overwhelmed with info you did not really want...........

i use only zinc wicks with my gel and that is a personal preference.

there really is nothing that takes the place of experimenting and testing. what i may prefer, you may not like......

by the using the experimenting and testing process, you will learn what you like and the different properties of different wicks.

cheryl

Yep, I know that as well and I have lots of patience and after reading the basics on gel candle making, somewhere along the way I found that wicks other than zinc core were being used and I was basically trying to find out what other wicks were being used just in case I had them already..ya know sometimes we word things all wrong? Anyway, I have found suppliers for the gel and fragrances and I know how to test the fragrances and it was the wicks that was a bit confusing so you know what I'm going to do? as I've done before, and that is test everything I got..LOL..and when those are ruled out I will purchase or find free samples to test! lol I am making cosmetics, beaded flowers, candles, jewlery, canes and learning to press flowers before my garden is in full bloom! I might need another day in the week more than I need wick references..LOL

Thanks you and everyone! Happy Easter