scent throw

Ok I know that each fo has different throws but what i am trying to find out is the wick is the biggest culprit in hot throw right? Poured a cucumber melon from peaks with their straight paraffin (igi 1343) with 1/4 tsp vybar to one lb with .5oz fo wonderfull cold throw absolutely NO hot throw. Had run out of wicks so had to use wicks from Joann's doesn't say on the package what size they are other than length and zinc wire core w/ 15mm clip?

Which do you prefer primed wicks or wick by the roll? pros and cons

what are the pros and cons to wick pins for pillar candles? can you use them with the wick by the roll or just primed wicks? Trying to get all the bugs worked out but everytime i think gone another one pops up...lol

Thanks for your input

I would say the biggest factors in scent throw would have to be your wax and your fragrance oils. Some wax blends are just better at shooting that scent out into a room. Of course, quality, concentrated fo's are a must too, and you need to use enough per pound of wax to get the job done.

Wicks? I prefer them primed and tabbed for my containers; I make way too many at a time to dink around with priming them myself. LOL I don't make pillars as often, so I don't mind spooled wick for those.

Your hot scent throw on a burning candle comes from the melt pool, so if the wick gets the job done, you're good to go. Now I'm not saying just ANY wick will do. Certain wicks are made to perform better with vegetable/soy waxes, certain wicks do better in paraffin, etc. Flat braid works great for pillars, but I prefer container type wicks for my container candles. Etc. So you might want to check which kinds of wicks will work best in your particular wax, and if it is made for a pillar type candle or a container candle.

Does your wax already have additives? If so, adding vybar may be binding up the scent too much and inhibiting throw.

HTH ~ it's a lot of info, I know!

I have personnaly found a huge difference in the amount of scent throw and the type of wick used. When I was using zinc wicks for my soy/par blend, I was very dissapointed in the hot throw of my containers. I found that they required a long cure time to get ANY kind of a good throw!

After lots of reading here, I decided that maybe the zincs weren't buring HOT enough for my wax blend (I was using quality oils as well, and definately enough of a FO load!) I started using CD wicks (Heinz coreless) and lo and behold- scent throw at last! Now, I'm not saying that this is magic by any means, and we definately test each combination of wax and FO- but on the whole, I am getting a much better, AND a much FASTER throw, by using the hotter buring wicks in my particular wax.

That being said, with straight paraffin, however, you should be able to use zincs, as long as you're achieving a good melt pool, and are using quality oils as AJ said, you should be ok...:cool2:

HTH!

Wow, cool, that's neat. I'm glad you shared that; I've never had the experience with better throw from different wicks per se. I just attributed the scent throw to the melt pool, figuring some made a better pool than others (because, as you say, they burn hotter). I enjoy hearing others' experiences when they are different from mine; learn something every day! :smiley2:

AJ, thanks, I was THRILLED believe me, when I learned this! It was soooo disappointing, as we al know, trying to acheive that great throw we all want so badly!

I don't get it everytime and w/ every oil, I wish I could. It is a mystery to me how we all get different results w/ this craft, ya know? Even if we try to duplicate all possible variables, it's almost an impossible task! (but an awesome addiction!):wink2: