Melt Pool/Wick Question for small container

EDITED TO CHANGE THE WIDTH OF JAR TO 3 3/8.

I have this really pretty non-glass jar (but can be used as a candle) and it has a 3 3/8 inch top and a narrow bottom. I have not done a lot of single wicking but know that single wicking would be best in this jar since it is rather narrow at the bottom (narrower than any jar that I have ever tested in). I want to use my soy wax in this jar to achieve the cleanest burn. I have tested both the RRD's (wicks I use in my main jars) and an ECO. I tested two sizes in the RRD's and one size in the ECO. I don't want the flame any bigger so the ECO 6 seemed like the right size in terms of flame and out of the two RRD's the 40 seemed right - the 47's flame got too big. However, my meltpool goes out about 1 1/2-1 3/4 inches and then begins to go downward and cannot seem to go outward any further. I have tested this same jar for me with my JS-123 paraffin wax and the melt pool is much better -- although it still had about a 1/2 inch wax left on the sides after a fairly long burn. It probably would have caught up later in the burn, but I stuck two wicks in there (not adhered) just for me -- can't do this for a friend or customer.

The Calsoy CB-3 soy which I am using is a very slow burn soy and it takes a lot of energy to burn off the sides. From the way it looks there may not be a wick to give me a FULL melt pool. Out of all the wicks made for soy, which one is the hottest burning? If I go up in size with either of the RRD's or ECO's the flame will get way too big. The only other wicks I have right now for soy are Cotton, Paper and the HTP. I will try them, but I doubt they will make that much of a difference.

For those of you who single wick soy in a container with at least a 3 inch mouth, are you successful at achieving a complete melt pool? I may end up having to use another wax in this jar -- my paraffin. My friend and I both have this jar, and I am trying to create it into a nice candle for her. I was hoping I would have this done by tomorrow for her wedding, but I won't. :(

Any suggestions? Thanks.

~Holly

Hi Kaybee,

It is a heavy metal container (not real thick though, but thicker than a metal tin). Looks kinda like an urn.

I remembered the old board having a wick suggestion thread that was started by someone who also also uses Calsoy CB-3. I checked it and she uses one RRD 50 or 55 in a 3 inch diameter glass container. However, I would not want the flame to be bigger than the 40 I tried. The 47 to me after it burned for a bit was too big -- figured that if I continued to burn it long enough to hopefully create the full meltpool, it would have been way too big. She double wicks in an 8 oz. tin container (3 1/8 diameter) with two RRD 29 and she also double wicks in a 3.5-4 inch diameter container with two RRD 29. The difference is mine tapers at the bottom, so I wanted to stay away from double wicking. If it was not as drastic of a taper I would. I am using Eucalyptus & Spearmint. It is not a real heavy oil because in my main jars that I double wick in, it takes smaller wicks than some of my other fragrances.

These containers are just containers that my friend and I bought for ourselves to have, and I do not plan on offering them to sell. They are just something that we really liked the look of. They were also very expensive -- especially for the size.

~Holly