Base CP recipe

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

I got a base recipe off here and have been using it with a few batches under my belt. A few of the batches I believe I made in late and they are very soap. I'm looking for something that makes a harder bar. Here is the recipe I use. It was very simple because I did the superfat and all. Hard for me to understand all that at first.

Hard Oil

Cocoa Butter 5% - at Trace

Coconut Oil 5%

Palm Oil 25%

Soft Oils

Olive Oil 30%

Soybean Oil 15%

Castor Oil 5%

I want something that will be harder. Not rock hard, but harder.

TIA!

Guest EMercier

I messed up. I swear I'm doing too much! :o Here is the recipe:

Hard Oil

Cocoa Butter 5% - at trace

Coconut Oil 20%

Palm Oil 25%

Soft Oil

Olive Oil 30%

Soybean Oil 15%

Castor Oil 5%

That's better!

Guest EMercier

I waited about 3 weeks to use it. The other day I cut a piece of a bar still on the rack and it was soft and didn't feel any different then the other one I used last month. Cut just like the same day I first cut the logs.

Could you post your amounts w/ lye and water amounts? How did you calculate your lye? You said you added the 5% castor oil at trace - was the castor oil in the lye calculation? Or did you skip it, and use the 0% lye discount in the calculator?

Just trying to see what your lye discount ended up being - that may have made it soft as well

Could you post your amounts w/ lye and water amounts? How did you calculate your lye? You said you added the 5% castor oil at trace - was the castor oil in the lye calculation?

Hmmm, did not notice that, but it was the cocoa butter at trace, not the castor. Try soaping that recipe with all the oils in from the start.