Where do luxury brand FOs come from?

gerbert

I was wondering if anybody has any insight into where the high-end candle brands (Voluspa, Trapp, Seda France, etc.) get their lovely scents. I've been sampling many oils and I'm not finding the fragrances as clean smelling or strong as the luxury brands. Do the high-end guys make their own FOs perhaps? Any suggestions for a supplier for luxury or higher concentrated FOs?

Thanks,

Gerbo

I'm sure they have them made specially. I do know that some include concretes and absolutes, in addition to the regular aroma chemicals and essential oil elements.

Manufactures can build you a scent, and one thing they ask is what price point you want. That tells them which chemicals they can use - there are more expensive chemicals, and less expensive substitutes.

Concretes are extracted with a solvent. Once the solvent is evaporated you get a waxy like substance called a concrete.

You take the concrete and extract that again but with ethanol, evaporate the ethanol, which gives you the absolute and leaves behind the waxy stuff.

This is all $100/oz type of stuff. Except for cocoa absolute - it's only $11/oz and is totally yummy. Never used them in candles though, too rich for me :)

Wonderful Robin, thank you for sharing the knowledge. I am interested in reading up on these processes as well. I will search on my own, but off-hand; do any of the manufacturers have websites that you know of?