Anyone make their own EO's?

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

I've been doing lots of research and got in lots of flowers and herbs to make. I found three methods:

1. Use jar in front of sunny window for a few weeks

2. Use crock and heat for 4-8 hours (at least)

3. Use Oven and do it 2-4 hours (at least)

I want to try, this way, I can minimize my costs. As I've been learning in my strategic management class, this is verticle integration. Just curious to see, also, for those that use EO's, how are they listed? Do you say, peppermint essential oils or the plant name? OK, I know it's a lot, but I want to get it right!

I agree with Lindsay. Those are different infusion, not essential oils. Essential oils are usually steam distilled or a solvent is used to extract all the "goodness" from the plant. You won't get the same properties from the infusions as the eo's - but I'm not saying infusions aren't good.

Check out this site for more on eo's and how they are made.

http://www.deancoleman.com/whatareoils.htm

I do a lot of infusions..... It is not the same. I infuse some things for the benefits of it in the soap but mostly for a natural colorant. It is even debatable on how much "benefit" that you get from the infusions because of heat, lye, etc. changing it.

I have never infused anything that has left a scent in the finished soap.

To my knowledge, you cannot make essential oils at home. It is done commercially.... as it is quite a process.

That link that Bunny posted explains it all! :grin2:

Guest EMercier

Well, upon further research, I'm now seeing this. I'm still seeing if I can get a home distiller and I saw one for about $400. Might be worth the investment.

Remember it takes pounds and pounds of ingredients just to make a little bit of oil.

One of our neighbors who has a lavender farm supposedly is going to be trying to do essential oils this year. Someone was saying you needed a ton of lavender (literally) to make a liter of oil. Yikes!

ETA:As I was going through my bookmarks looking for concrete and absolute info for another thread, I found this one I had forgotten about.

http://home.mchsi.com/~tblount/steam.htm

Kind of interesting.

"Essential oils are very expensive to produce, some more so than others, due to the labor intensive process and the quantity of the plant required to produce the oil, Approximately 400 kg of Thyme would produce 1 kg of essential oil , 2000 kg of rose petals to make 1kg of Rose oil , 6 tons of orange blossom to produce 1 kg of Neroli , and 4 million Jasmine flowers to produce 1 kg of Jasmine absolute."

http://www.herbalremedies.com/arandesoilin.html

You have a few hundred acres and a few years?

I'm not looking to make tons of it. I'm just looking to make a few here and there for a few things.

I think it would be fun to do, but remember at 500/1 or 1000/1 it still would take a bunch just to make 1 oz

Guest EMercier

No, I get the point and I got it from the beginning. Just something I was looking at and I've read about everything that everyone has posted. I know I came to ask a question and I understand that it takes a lot to make a little. That's all. I guess that's what happens when you just type out your thoughts instead of thinking first.