Need help with my hurricanes

I can't seem able to do a photo hurricane to save my life and here i was thinking about introducing them at a market i have to do in may. The first one i did had too much wax on the pics so came back here and read more. Now i don't have that problem anymore but the wax on the pic keeps sticking to my mold. My reading today turn out tips about making sure that the mold was really clean and checking the temp of the water bath, will try that tonight but in the meantime will appreciate any tip you may have.

Thanks a lot.

BTW, i use straight paraffin wax with 1tsp of UA per pound. I am still trying to find micro locally. So far no luck

Try dipping your picture in hot wax and let it cool before you pour your cane and then insert the picture. Then take 2 wooden bamboo skewers and use one to hold the picture and the other to smooth out any air bubbles behing the picture. Then take a piece of ice and run on the outside of the mold where the picture is til the wax hardens there and then take it to your water bath. HTH Portia

Since you intend to sell these, it's very important that you use hurricane wax. Yes micro will increase the mp, but not enough. If your customer decides to use a votive inside a hurricane made with normal pillar wax the heat will start to melt the inner wall, and if left burning long enough, possibly start to warp it. In my testing using 145 mp pillar wax both of these happened with a votive, but was fine with a tea light. However no matter what you tell people, or how many warnings you place, the customer will do as they please. It's also a good idea to line the bottom of the hurricane (on the inside) with cork for protection. The bottom of the votive holder can get quite hot and melt the hurricane.

But reg pillar wax will work fine for the time being, just to learn the technique. HTH

Personally I haven't had the need to use addatives, just straight hurricane wax. I believe some use micro to make it less brittle, but I see no need for UA. There's no chance of mottling, or need to enhance sent throw, or increase the amount of fo the wax will hold. THe only advantage I know of would be to raise the MP a bit, and aide in mold release. With a seasoned mold, it should release just fine, at least thats my experience. Everyone does things differently.

To consistently make a picture hurricane you need to use the correct wax. I muddled along using IGI 1260 hurricane wax for a couple of years. My picture hurricanes improved considerably when I changed to Candlewic 5055. And get yourself some micro 180. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Because i live in Senegal (west africa) i can't get access to any of the wax you guys talk about but i do have access to a high melt point wax (155 F) and that's what i am using. I have not try a votive in the hurricane yet cause my focus now is on making one where no wax is sticking to the mold.