? for carved candle experts

I read the pigment dye works better but does regular liquid dyes work ok. Its hard to find alot of pigment colors and bittercreek only sells in 1lb slabs and i really dont want to invest in that much for playing around. Lin

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that Bruce uses regular candle dyes, and not pigments.

I do know for a fact that, yes, you can use regular dyes.

My only concern with regular dyes is they tend to bleed easier than pigments and since most carvings are used more for decoration than for burning, there's a small chance they could bleed out onto furniture or whatever, if it's not set on something protective. However I have used reg. dyes on some of my personal carvings and have had them set out for about a year, and I haven't encountered any bleeding yet.

HTH

:)

Powdered dyes are what we have always used. Its true that they can bleed over time. The hardest thing is to get a nice white on the outside if you have colors like red or orange under it. I use about 8 layers of white on the outside to keep them white longer. Bruce

Thank you both so much for your help. I dont even know if i can do one yet, but their so pretty i have to at least try. I just didnt want to invest in alot if i cant do them,lol. I love a challange though so this should be fun. Thanks again so much. Lin