Unwhipped body butter?

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

I've been doing research for an easier way to make body butter as I do not have a stand mixer and my whipping sucks. I saw a recipe that you melt the oils and then pour in a jar and let it solidify. I haven't try it, but wanted to know if anyone else has. Here is what I found:

Smooth & Creamy Body Butter

3 oz wt Cocoa Butter

2 oz wt Mango Butter

2 oz wt Shea Butter

1 oz wt Apricot Oil (Sweet Almond Oil)

1 tsp Vit E Oil

Heat until melted. Cool a bit and add FO or EO if desired. Pour into container.

I modified it a bit when I wrote it down.

Guest EMercier

That's what I was thinking. How is the consistency? Does it work for you? I like body butter, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to wait until after I graduate to devote more time and patience for whipping butter.

The consistency is similar to a lip balm, not the type in a tube, but the softer type in a jar. It works great in the summer here (although it is suitable for year round) because we get a very drying type of heat during the summer. I had to try a lot of things to prevent the shea butter from going grainy. In the end, what worked was to melt it on low heat (using the lowest setting on your stove) while stirring constantly. Then when it is completely melted, I remove from heat and continue stirring until it starts to solidify and then pour into jars.

I am curious about this recipe...I have used a few similar recipes but I find the finished product to be soooo oily that I have to wipe it off after 10 minutes or so. I love body butter but I was wondering about the greas factor with this type of recipe...I mean without stearic acid, water e-wax and the sort. I don't make butters to sell. I am just so addicted to making about anything....you know jack of all trades master of nothing...so I thought I would ask about the greasy feeling of the finished product.:D

Guest EMercier

Well, I think I'll make a small batch this week and if it's greasy, I'll add a little dry flo or cornstarch to see what happens. OR, I'll make two batches one with both and see what happens from there.

I am curious about this recipe...I have used a few similar recipes but I find the finished product to be soooo oily that I have to wipe it off after 10 minutes or so.

With shea butters, a tiny tiny bit goes a long way. If it is greasy, try using less. Mine is only greasy when I apply too much.

I only rub my fingers over the top until some melts on my fingers. That is enough for the backs of both of my hands. Very moisturizing and non-greasy.