HI...CP soap questions

NedraBryce

HI!

I am planning on making my first CP soaps in September. If I make a 2 pound recipe what is some good molds I may have around the house? I was thinking a aluminum foil boxs since it already has a lid on it. I wonder how many of these I will need? Any ideas?

I seen that in a soap book.

Nedra

I found Lye at Ace Hardware. If you have a small hardware store they usually have it. For molds you can use a shoe box, Satin used an ice cream tub (which I thought was smart). I'm not sure that a foil box would be big enough but I could be wrong. HTH a little-Mashala

Thank you. I seen the soaps that were made in the ice cream container. they turned out great. I am sure I will figure it out. I am going to read millers soaps over real good and read my soap book.

I know I can get red devil lye at walmart.

I was wondering if lye crystals is different they red devil lye at walmart?

Shoe boxes are a good mold for CP soap. I do not insulate my soap so I do not worry about a lid. That is a matter of preference. Some people also use the drawer organizers that you can purchase at Walmart.

I do not know of liquid lye. Lye is sold in the cleaning section of your grocery store. I have also heard of it at Lowe's and Home Depot. I buy mine at the grocery store. You need Red Devil Lye. It is in a white container. You can not buy liquid Drano or anything else like that and use it. It is not pure lye and is not used for soapmaking.

It sounds like you are still in the research phase. I commend you for learning and reading about soapmaking before you try it.

HTH.

Thanks for the help. I will look at the hardware store! I always thought walmart carried it but I hadn't actually looked yet.

Now I am just looking for a good recipe and have to figure out were to get my ingredients. :) I am reading millersoap right now! :):rolleyes:

Good idea to use the shoe box - you shouldn't use metal like aluminum with CP. Only stainless steel. Cardboard and many plastics will be fine, as long as they can stand temps up to 200F.

Lye can be hard to find with all the new drug laws being put in place, so keep looking. Lowe's, super Walmarts, grocery stores, Ace Hardware, restaurant supply stores, janitorial services...

Thanks. I think the shoe box is the best idea for now. Maybe if I really get into it my grandpa will make a me a wooden box with a lid.

I have a nice size stainless steel pot so I am good to go on that. :) DH really loves CP soaps so he is excited. He wants cabernet soap and I already have the body safe FO that I use to make candles.

Nedra