titanium dioxide question.

dick

I have read about using Titanium Dioxide to produce white soap, but tried it last night and the stuf didn't mix well. How, and when do you add it and how much? OH! guess I should add that I'm doing CP soap.

I also have a question about MP soap. I bought a block a few days ago from a regular supplier. The ad just said "Premium Melt and Pour Base- Clear". No real breakdown of ingredients that I saw. I was planning on making some "kids soap" with creepy crawly plastic bug inserts so I thought most any clear base would work. I cut 5lb block in half and plopped it in my melt pot (double boiler) and melted it up and there was a 1/4" thick "scum" on top of the liquid. I tried stirring it in but it wouldn't mix. I tried raising the temp and no help. I let it cool and just as it hardened I lifted of the scum layer and tossed it out. the next day I melted the remaining block (now clear again) and again the thick scum formed on top.

I had this happen once before back when I first started messing with soap, but back then I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be like that so I just used it anyway. The bars were messed up though, and I had to scrape away the layer of hardened scum. That was with White MP base.

What is the cause? should I just toss out the rest of this block or can I "fix" it?

Thanks;

Dick

I use the water soluble titanium dioxide and dissolve it in a bit of water first. I only use it for blind swirls, so I don't use much, maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp. to about 1 cup of oils.

Also, when I did M&P soap, I only used SFIC bases and never got the glop you're talking about, but hopefully someone else will chime in to help!!