Wax Heater

I am new to making candles and would like to expand my capacity and was wondering about the wax heaters that are available. Right now I just use the presto pot and that seems to work pretty well. Can anybody tell me the if there are any advantages to the large wax heater beyond the ability to just make more, it seems like a pretty large price hike. In addition, I have seen the gun, which looks handy, but is also very expensive. I only make soy if that makes any difference. Thanks for any info anyone may be able to provide.:)

I am not sure about the large wax melters, as I don't own one. To help with production, I just bought an additional presto. As far as the heatgun, I have found it to be an essential in the kitchen for doing candles. It helps to warm up the tops of candles, if you need to smooth them out. It is good for melting the excess wax in your pour pots, so you can clean them out. Walmart has them pretty cheap, in the paint section. An alternative to the heat gun, some people use an embossing tool, you can pick up at most craft stores. It isn't as big or put out as much as the heatgun, but I understand that it gets the job done.

Unless you are going to be making huge quantities of candles like thousands at a time, a couple of presto pots and several pouring pots will get the job done. I of course like to pour in smaller quantities for better quality. JMO Good luck in your candle making endeavor it is a blast.:)

I bought one of those electric turkey deep fryers. They run for a bout $99-$120. But they hold around 60-80 lbs of wax. I have the presto too. But I was losing space and for the cost of a couple prestos. I could do large batches at once. Plus it has a built in spout obvious meant to drain the oil but it works great for wax. It also has a thermostat. If you use separate pouring pitures then this is perfect. You can do small jobs or large ones. I don't regret using this. I would actually like another just for pillar wax.

Stacie, that's interesting. I'm using the large roasters which hold about 25#, and that's great but when I'm pouring I can empty one in no time. I use two, sometimes three so I can just keep going, but they do take up a fair amount of precious space. How long does it take if you fill that thing, for the wax to melt and come to the temp you're looking for? The spout doesn't clog? (I'm using a ladle!) Do you use more than one? How much space does it take up? Anything I didn't ask?:confused:

Gretchen

I haven't had any problems yet. It is upright more than the roasters. My husband and I looked at those too because they hold up to 60 quarts. But he was turned off to the fact that I would have to use a ladel to get the wax. So we tried the deep fryer. It heats up rather fast. Keep in mind it is technically a deep fryer. So it heats up to 400 easily. When I am done I just unplug it and put the lid on it. I haven't schorched it and the spout hasn't clogged yet. Its metal so when the hot wax sits on it it just melts it down. It has an end cap on it too so it doesn't leak all over the place. Plus the heating coil lifts rigt out so if you do need to clean it, it is a non stick surface. The least I can say is try it. I was skeptical at first but I enjoy it. I just plug it in dump in more wax and do the treadmill why it melts. Then I pour the wax in each individual pouring pot.