Wick question..please

pixie*dust

I bought a bunch of those cutesy 4 oz flower pots. I've tried a reg votive wick, 44-24-18Z, not a big enough flame, and the sides didnt burn down as I wanted.. so I went to a htp-73.. then a htp83... then a htp93, and I'am still getting the problems with it leaving gel on the sides.. any suggestions or has anyone else experienced this..

thanks,

pix

Can't help you with that type of wicking, we use mainly LX with our gels, however I just wanted to mention, with gel it is important to wick so that you are left with an amount of gel on the side to keep the glassware cooler during burning. It acts as an insolator. The amount left is pretty much dependent upon the thickness of the glassware, thinner glass requires a thicker coating left behind during burning, thicker glassware a thinner coating is enough.

Ensure that you test all your glassware, not only for the burn but how hot the glass gets throughout a complete burn, it should at the least be touchable without burning your fingers. 1/8 to 1/4 inch is usually enough.

HTH

Wendy

Vicky, I'am burning it way down into the glass.. but expected it to melt in with the rest of the gel, before it was below the halfway mark. Does that make sense? I may just be used to way votives burn all the way down, without the side layer.

Wendy, I can move/hold the glass, with it burning at the half way mark. and it is warm, rather like coffee that has sat in a mug for about 20 min. I'll have a look at the website I ordered them from and see what the measurements are. This is pretty thick glass and to me it is a kinda thick skin around the inside. I'd never heard that there should be a skin around the inside of the glass, before.. but it does make sense so that the glass doesnt get soo hot.

Thanks,

pix

• 1 month later...

good morning everyone,

I am also some what new @ gel. I am trying a dessert glass 4in across filled with wax embeds with a wick size of 62-52-180Z and oxagon jars with 51-32-18Z. scent from candles & supplies.

As they are buring I see they are mushrooming & the smell is not there, almost like a fuel smell.The smell is great until I light it? I do not scent embedds & put 1 oz. to a pound of gel.I see in the picture they have one wick? any suggestions?:sad2:

Thanks Lisa