My stupid question...

lovebug7480

I feel silly asking this, but my husband wants to make sure it's ok before we start CPOP tomorrow. We've been searching around the house for things to use as molds. We found an old wooden box that is perfect for a small batch, but we have only one. So....we found some old diaper wipe containers. But, they're plastic. Can you use plastic in the oven for CPOP? It's a heavy plastic, but we've never done this before, and really don't want a meltdown in the oven! I know that when you do CPOP, it's at a low temp but is it still too hot for plastic? We were also eyeing shoeboxes, can those be put in the oven as well? My hubby looked at me like I had three heads when I suggested putting the plastic container in the oven! TIA everyone!!

I wouldn't use the plastic either. Here's why. I bought a soap kit that came with a very thick plastic slab mold. I also have a couple wood log molds. I use those logs molds for CPOP and cover them with saran wrap. The saran wrap has never melted or come close so I wondered if this thick plastic mold would be O.K. too. I decided to try since I didn't like the mold anyway and didn't really care what happened to it. I put it in the oven to see and stayed by the oven constantly checking. Everything was going good so I left and just went to the bathroom. In the few minutes I was gone, my mold started to melt and warped really bad. It would have completely melted (can you imagine that mess:confused: ) had I not been watching it so carefully. Why the mold melted and thin saran wrap doesn't is beyond me. But, I learned my lesson.;)

I have warped not one but TWO plastic molds in the oven. I use wood only now. The saran wrap has never posed a problem for me. Why not split the batch and use wood for the oven, CPOP, cover the other with saran, wrap in a towel for regular CP? That way you'll be able to compare the two processes.

e