Lye won't mix ???

maryann

I've thrown out 2 batches and my 3rd is doing the same thing. Once its clear the mixture has flakes in it like it hasn't mixed :confused: WHY??

After the 2nd one I totally cleaned the container so I know its not residue.

I'm only using lye and water nothing fancy.

[ATTACH]5503[/ATTACH]

post-119-139458397059_thumb.jpg

As far as I know its 100% lye (from someone I respect and have done business w/ before so w/ that said I feel comfortable saying its 100% unless they were duped).

It does have a skin or more so a film, but what I'm referring to is the flakes at the bottom of the container (see pic).

Ok, I can't Reilly see the pic very well, but this was just discussed on another board and the consensus was that it resulted from inadequate stirring. Don't know if that may be what happened to you.

How much water to how much lye? Just double checking..

I don't worry about floaties or skin on the top, but I would be paranoid about heavier stuff that sits on the bottom. Could just be calcium carbonate, the lye might have saponified the small layer of oil that's always left in a container, even after a good wash. Did you ever use this container for oils before?

How much water to how much lye? Just double checking..

I don't worry about floaties or skin on the top, but I would be paranoid about heavier stuff that sits on the bottom. Could just be calcium carbonate, the lye might have saponified the small layer of oil that's always left in a container, even after a good wash. Did you ever use this container for oils before?

Robin this is the recipe I was talking about this A.M. BUT I only had enough salt for a 2 lb batch (I know its not good to go below 3 lbs :undecided) w/ that said I was doing 8oz of water to 5.5 oz of lye.

Why is this mixture getting worse???

Looks to me like the film that forms when it gets cold. If I mix up lye and let it cool to room temp I get that, if I put it in a jug with a lid while warm it doesn't happen. It looks like is referred to as "lye lint"

I strained it and ened up w/ 12.1 oz of mixture. I probably shouldn't admit this BUT ..... I'm so confused by the whole bit that I thought to myself now how could I have weighed this all so wrong it should only be 8oz?? Thank God after weighing it 4x it dawned on me 5.5oz lye and 8oz water make 13.5 duh!! So now I'm down to 12.1, not sure how as I didn't spill any maybe straining it I lost some?? I don't know right about now :tongue2:

So I ened up doing 32oz of oils and 12.1 lye solution (weight is the lye and the water together) ...... can I look at it like I took a decent discount and it'll be ok or am I in trouble??

Boy I don't like surprises when I'm trying something new :grin2: !!

I strained it and ened up w/ 12.1 oz of mixture. I probably shouldn't admit this BUT ..... I'm so confused by the whole bit that I thought to myself now how could I have weighed this all so wrong it should only be 8oz?? Thank God after weighing it 4x it dawned on me 5.5oz lye and 8oz water make 13.5 duh!! So now I'm down to 12.1, not sure how as I didn't spill any maybe straining it I lost some?? I don't know right about now :tongue2:

Um, since I've made a wopping 3 whole batches I should probably just keep my mouth shut, but I'm very talented at putting my foot in my mouth :lipsrseal :tiptoe: .

Maybe that little bit of weight you lost is from when you added the lye. The water get's so hot maybe it was just a little bit of evaporation?

OK I'll shut up now & let the real soap makers help you out,

Karen B

Karen B, you're right. Evaporation will and does happen, so that accounts for some of the water loss (if not all). Depending on how you strained it, that too could account for some of the water loss (for example, if you used a coffee filter to strain it, some of the liquid will be left in the filter).

I think you'll be okay. You might have lost a little lye, but not so much that your batch will be way discounted. You most likely will not notice it at all.

I had this issue with metal bowls that I use to mix my lye in. These same bowls are also used when I break a bigger batch up, so they've had soap in them before. When this happened a few times in a row, I scrubbed my metal bowls out and then filled them with white vinager for an hour and scrubbed again, then hand dried. I think my issue was a combo of not getting 100% of the previous batch of soap out and my hard water (calcium, lime deposits building up).